Chambers County Alabama Map

Chambers County Alabama


Chambers County population is 34,215. Its county seat is Lafayette. Its name is in honor of Henry H. Chambers, who served as a United States Senator from Alabama.  

Cities: Cusseta, LaFayette, Lanett, Valley
Towns: Waverly, Five Points
Communities: Abanda, Fredonia, Huguley, Penton, Standing Rock, Oak Bowery, Oakland, Stroud, White Plains
Ghost Town: Cedric

Prior to contact with people of European descent, what is now Chambers County was inhabited by the Creek Indian Nation. Chambers County was established on December 18, 1832.


Cedric Alabama


Cedric, Alabama was a small community in northeastern Chambers County, Alabama. Today it is entirely in private ownership. It is located 3–4 miles to the southeast of present day Roanoke, Alabama and about 1 mile southwest of Bacon Level Church. Alabama Cities Index

Alabama Ghosts and Ghost Towns Index

Fort Cusseta: Cusseta, Alabama | Chambers County Alabama

Fort Cusseta: Cusseta, Alabama | Chambers County Alabama

Fort Cusseta was a wooden stockade built by white settlers to protect against possible Creek Indian attacks. Its ruin still exists today within the small city of Cusseta, Alabama. Following the signing of the Creek Treaty in 1832, the early white settlers built a 16 feet by 30 feet hand-hewn log fort for protection from a possible uprising from a Cusseta Indian village on Osanippa Creek just north of the fort.. Walls were four and six feet high with portholes at a height of four feet. The fort never saw any military action.

LangdaleTheater Valley AL Chambers County Alabama

Langdale Theater

Langdale Theater
Valley AL
Chambers County Alabama

6001 20th Ave
Valley AL 36854

The theater was built in 1937, after the old wood frame theater and school burned.  Originally designed by Kennon Perry, architect of  Atlanta, it is a stylized neo-Georgian two-story brick building.  It has a formally balanced facade connected by a cloister to the  LaFayette  Lanier  School.  Three porch arches give the theater a Gothic  Temple appearance. The building is used for school functions, stage plays, church groups, concerts, pageants, dance recitals, cantatas, religious events, and womanless weddings. For Landale community natives, it is fondly remembered as the “Picture Show.”

Restoration of the theater began in 1985 and is now complete. Its interior and exterior appearances are maintained as near to original as possible.  Its owner is the Chambers County Board of Education.

City of Valley Alabama

City of Valley
Chambers County Alabama

Valley, Alabama was incorporated in 1980 combining the four textile mill villages of Fairfax, Langdale, Riverview, and Shawmut. We are located on Interstate 85 halfway between Montgomery, Alabama and Atlanta, Georgia. Valley is only 75 miles southwest of Atlanta-Hartsfield International Airport (Google Map) and 85 miles northeast of Montgomery Regional Airport-Dannelly Field (Google Map) Airport in Montgomery. Our population is 9,200. The city lies on the banks of the Chattahoochee River – the state border between Alabama and Georgia.