Gaylesville, Alabama is a town in Cherokee County. The population of Gaylesville was 144 at the 2010 census. Gaylesville is named for George W. Gayle, an Alabama politician. However, Gayle may also be the name of a local Cherokee Indian. A post office has been in operation in Gaylesville since 1836. The area was settled in the early 1830s, just before the removal of the Cherokee Indians. It was known originally as Sulphur Springs.
Gaylesville Alabama History
Nearby deposits of iron ore were mined and used to produce iron at the Cornwall blast furnace, located between Gaylesville and Cedar Bluff; the iron later was used by the Confederacy during the Civil War.
On May 3, 1863, Union colonel Abel D. Streight hoped to destroy the furnace on his raid, but he and his forces were pursued and captured by Confederate general Nathan B. Forrest just outside Gaylesville.
Battle Unit Details
INDIANA– 51st Infantry.
The furnace was disabled by several Union actions in 1864. Also that year, Union general William T. Sherman encamped at Gaylesville during the Nashville-Franklin Campaign.
Gaylesville Alabama Places of Interest
Historic Places near Gaylesville is Barry Springs, also known as the Fort Likens Site. There, a temporary camp was constructed in June 1838 to support and facilitate the removal of Cherokee Indians to the west. Nearby is Lake Weiss, often called the “Crappie Capital of the World.”
Source: Encyclopedia of Alabama
Gaylesville is located in northeast Cherokee County at 34°16’4.778″ North, 85°33’29.678″ West (34.267994, -85.558244), on the north side of the Chattooga River where it enters Weiss Lake. Gaylesville is accessed by State Highway 68, which runs east-west, and State Highway 35, which runs north-south.