Mount Sterling Methodist Church is a historic Methodist church building near the junction of Choctaw County Road 43 and Choctaw County Road 27 in the rural community of Mount Sterling, Alabama. It is an almost unaltered example of the simple, Greek Revival style popular for rural churches in the mid-19th century. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 8, 1986.
The church was completed in a simple Greek Revival style in 1859, when the community was a prosperous antebellum town. The land for the church was donated by the Catterlin family, early Choctaw County settlers who had established the a post office in Mount Sterling in 1838. The one-story frame building was the first in the county to be built exclusively as a church; an earlier Baptist church was originally built as a Masonic lodge and seminary. It used for church services up until the 1970s, when the dwindling congregation could no longer afford to maintain it. In 1980, the property was donated to the Choctaw County Historical Society. The historical society, at the time having only just under 50 members, spent more than 15 years raising money and restoring the structure for use as a community hall. It is one of only two remaining 19th century churches in the Mount Sterling area, the other being St. John’s Christian Methodist Episcopal Church.
Wikipedia contributors, “Mount Sterling Methodist Church,” Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mount_Sterling_Methodist_Church&oldid=751877529 (accessed April 1, 2017).