In the year 1800 the white people began to settle in this county, and by 1813 there were quite a number of settlers along the west side of the county. In 1813 the Indians became very troublesome and the whites became alarmed and began the erection of forts at various points in the county. According to Ball’s history of Clarke County, they were located as follows:
Fort Madison was situated in the northeast corner of Section 1 in Township 6, Range 3 East, four and a half miles south and about one mile and a half west of the village of Suggsville on the dividing ridge. It covered about one acre of ground. A trench was dug around the outside limits three feet in depth and into this the bodies of pine trees were inserted side by side cut about 15 feet in length. A continuous wall of pines some 12 feet in height therefore surrounded the enclosure. Within were the tents and cabins of the neighboring settlers. Colonel Carson’s company occupied Fort Glass.
Fort Singuefield was built in the same manner, but was smaller than Fort Madison. It was located in Section 13, Township 8, Range 3 East.
Fort White was a short distance northeast of Grove Hill.
Carney’s Fort was on the Tombigbee at Gullet’s Bluff, a few miles below Jackson.
McGrew Fort was nearly north of Old St. Stephens in the corner of Section 1, Township 7, Range 1 West.
Landrum’s Fort was on Section 18, Township 8, Range 2 East, now in Good Springs’ Beat.
Mott’s Fort was in the same neighborhood.
Turner’s Fort was near the residence of Abner Turner.
Easley’s Fort was on the Tombigbee River in Section 11, Township 11, Range 1 West.
Powell’s Fort was near Oven Bluff.
Fort Glass was south of Suggsville.
Lavier’s Fort may have been south of Suggsville.
These forts were perhaps built in the year of 1913 [sic, probably 1813] in the same year that occurred the battles of Burnt Corn, Fort Mims, Fort Sinquefield, Bashi Skirmish and the Canoe Fight.
The battles of Burnt Corn and Fort Mims did not occur in Clarke County, but they are so closely connected with the county, and Clarke countians being in both of these battles we deem it appropriate to make mention of them.
A full account of all these battles is found in Pickett’s History and reproduced below. All these battles occurred in 1813, July, August, September, October and November, respectively.