DeKalb County Alabama
DeKalb County population is 71,109. Its county seat is Fort Payne, Alabama. Its name is in honor of Major General Baron Johan DeKalb.
DeKalb County was created by the Alabama legislature on January 9, 1836, from land ceded to the Federal government by the Cherokee Nation. It was named for Major General Baron Johann de Kalb, a hero of the American Revolution.
DeKalb County was the one time home of the famous Cherokee Native American Sequoyah.
DeKalb County Alabama Cities
Fort Payne Alabama
Fort Payne is a city in and county seat of DeKalb County. At the 2010 census, the population was 14,012
Henagar is a city in DeKalb County, Alabama in the northeast corner of Alabama. At the 2010 census the population was 2,344. Henagar is located on top of Sand Mountain, a southern extension of the Cumberland Plateau.
Rainsville is a city in DeKalb County, Alabama. At the 2010 census the population was 4,948, up from 4,499 in 2000. Rainsville is located on top of Sand Mountain, a southern extension of the Cumberland Plateau.
As of the 2010 census Rainsville had a population of 4,984. The racial and ethnic composition of the population was 93.5% non-Hispanic white, 0.2% African American, 0.9% Native American, 0.2% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 2.1% from some other race, 1.3% from two or more races and 3.8% Hispanic or Latino of any race.
Home of the Plainview Bears, and the Cornerstone Christian Academy Eagles, Rainsville is a city of 5,000 residents resting atop the large plateau known as Sand Mountain in scenic northeast Alabama. The uncrowded, yet growing city is ideally located near larger Southern cities with easy access to major transportation routes. Outdoor recreation opportunities such as fishing, boating, hunting, hiking, mountain biking, bird watching and outdoor photography abound in this region filled with rivers, lakes, mountains, caverns and canyons.
Things To Do in Rainsville Alabama
DeKalb County Alabama Towns
Founded in the mid 1800’s by Alfred Collins and surrounded by the beautiful Appalachian Mountains of northeast Alabama, Collinsville is a great place to call home. Collinsville is a town in DeKalb and Cherokee counties. It was incorporated in 1887. As of the 2010 census, the population was 1,983.
Collinsville is located in southern DeKalb County at 34°15’55.555″ North, 85°51’41.483″ West (34.265432, -85.861523). A small portion extends southeast along Alabama State Route 68 into Cherokee County. The town is located in the Little Wills Valley, between Lookout Mountain to the east and the smaller Big Ridge to the west.
Collinsville is home to the Collinsville Trade Day, which is held every Saturday. It is estimated that 10,000 people visit the trade day each week, a number which may reach 30,000 in spring. The trade day was originally located outside the city limits, but was annexed in 2004.
Top Sights in Collinsville
Crossville is a town in DeKalb County. At the 2010 census the population was 1,862, up from 1,431 in 2000. Crossville is located atop Sand Mountain, a southern extension of the Cumberland Plateau. Crossville is a farming community in northeast Alabama, situated on the sandstone plateau of Sand Mountain. The native peoples called the plateau Raccoon Mountain. It holds some historical significance for having figured tangentially in the Creek War.
Fyffe, located atop Sand Mountain, was founded in the 1880s. The origin of the name “Fyffe” is obscure, though it was apparently suggested by the Postal Service when the post office was established. Fyffe was incorporated in 1956. At the 2010 census the population was 1,018.
The town of Fyffe was the location of UFO sightings on Friday and Saturday, February 11–12, 1989. More than fifty people (at a time when the town of less than two thousand residents) called the Fyffe Police Department to report sightings on two separate occasions.
As a way of remembering the UFO sightings, Fyffe is home to an annual UFO (Unforgettable Family Outing) Festival every August and features hot air balloon rides available to the public as well as musical entertainment and outdoor games.
Geraldine is located in DeKalb County on beautiful Sand Mountain. Geraldine offers a quiet, rural lifestyle but with opportunities for industrial growth and expansion. It is a great place to live.
Hammondville is a town in DeKalb County. It was incorporated in 1937. As of the 2010 census, the population of the town is 488.
Ider is a town in DeKalb County, Alabama, United States. At the 2010 census, the population was 723. It incorporated in October 1973.
Ider Alabama Zip Code
Ider Alabama Events and Places of Interest
Ider holds an annual Mule Day festival on Labor Day. It includes a parade, an antique car show, arts and crafts vendors, food, and entertainment. The town also holds a Homecoming parade and a Christmas parade.
Ider maintains one municipal park that has a walking trail, tennis courts, baseball fields, playground equipment, and an outdoor stage.
Mentone is a town in DeKalb County. Mentone, located atop Lookout Mountain, has the highest elevation of any incorporated town in Alabama, narrowly over Hytop. A number of private summer camps are located near Mentone.
Pine Ridge Alabama
Pine Ridge is located in central DeKalb County in the northeastern corner of the state. It was incorporated in 1982. Pine Ridge is located near the geographic center of DeKalb County at 34°26′45″N 85°46′45″W (34.445939, -85.779069). It is bordered to the east by the city of Fort Payne, the county seat, and to the northwest by the city of Rainsville.
Pine Ridge is in the Ridge and Valley portion of the Appalachian Mountains and occupies a series of low ridges and valleys. From east to west, they are Middle Ridge, Dugout Valley, Shinbone Ridge, and Sand Valley, with the northwestern part of the town climbing the eastern edge of Sand Mountain, a southern extension of the Cumberland Plateau.
Powell is a town in DeKalb County. At the 2010 census the population was 955. Powell is located atop Sand Mountain. Originally incorporated as Powell’s Crossroads in the 1960s, it had shortened its name to Powell by the 1990 U.S. Census.
Sand Rock Alabama
Sand Rock is a town in Cherokee and DeKalb counties. It incorporated in 1988. At the 2010 census the population was 560.
Shiloh is a town in DeKalb County. Shiloh is located west of the center of DeKalb County at 34°27′56″N 85°52′38″W at an elevation of 1,263 feet (385 m). It is bordered to the northeast by the city of Rainsville and to the southwest by the town of Fyffe
Sylvania is a town in DeKalb County. It incorporated in October 1967. At the 2010 census the population was 1,837, up from 1,186 in 2000. Sylvania is located atop Sand Mountain.
Valley Head Alabama
Valley Head is a town in DeKalb County. Although the town incorporated in 1921, it was also listed as being incorporated on the 1890 U.S. Census. At the 2010 census the population was 558. The area occupied by Valley Head is the same area that the Cherokees called Telonga.
DeKalb County Alabama Communities
Alpine is an unincorporated community in DeKalb County, located northeast of Fort Payne.
Adamsburg is an unincorporated community located on Lookout Mountain in eastern DeKalb County, southeast of the county seat of Fort Payne, and just west of Little River Canyon.
Aroney is an unincorporated community located on Sand Mountain in far southwestern DeKalb County, Alabama.
Beaty Crossroads Alabama
Beaty Crossroads is an unincorporated community on Sand Mountain in northern DeKalb County. It is located within the town limits of Ider at the intersection of Alabama Highway 75 and Alabama Highway 117.
Chigger Hill Alabama
Chigger Hill is an unincorporated community in DeKalb County. Chigger Hill was named from the fact the original settlers had to combat a serious infestation of mites.
Dawson is a small unincorporated community located in DeKalb County. It is located atop Sand Mountain, approximately 4 miles northeast of the town of Crossville.
Dog Town Alabama
Dogtown, also known as Cagle’s Crossroads, Dog Town, and Ruhama, is an unincorporated community in DeKalb County. First called Cagle’s Crossroads after a local family, the community was then called Dogtown due to the large number of hunters and their dogs that frequented the area. It is also referred to as Ruhama, in reference to a local Baptist church that was organized in 1900.
Grove Oak Alabama
Grove Oak is a small unincorporated community in DeKalb County. It is located atop Sand Mountain in northeastern Alabama. Grove Oak has one store, and is surrounded by forests and farmland. There are two Baptist churches. There is a small Masonic lodge and a now-closed junior high school.
Guest is an unincorporated community in DeKalb County. The community was most likely named for the local Guest family. A post office called Guest was established in 1892, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1905.
Hopewell is an unincorporated community in DeKalb County.
Lake Howard Alabama
Lake Howard is an unincorporated community in DeKalb County.
Loveless is an unincorporated community in DeKalb County. It is named after its founder, Dawson Lovelace and located 9 miles south-southwest of Fort Payne.
Sulphur Springs Alabama
Sulphur Springs is an unincorporated community in DeKalb County. The community was founded as a stop on the Alabama Great Southern Railroad. It was once home to the Alabama White Sulphur Springs Hotel, an 80-room hotel, which also included six cottages, built by Col. A. B. Hanna in 1871. The hotel remained in operation until 1929, when it and the surrounding property were donated to the YWCA of Chattanooga. It was operated as Camp Elizabeth Lupton by the YWCA until 1953.
The community was named for the springs of sulphur water near the town site.
A post office called Sulphur Springs was established in 1885, and remained in operation until 1918. The post office was moved across the border to Sulphur Springs, Georgia, with mail being brought over from the train depot in Georgia.
Source: Wikipedia contributors, “Sulphur Springs, Alabama,” Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia
DeKalb County Alabama Ghost Towns
Bootsville is a ghost town in the Sand Valley area of central DeKalb County. It was located roughly five miles west-southwest of Fort Payne. This would place it near the present-day intersection of County Road 458 and County Road 461.
Rawlingsville, also known as Crystal Lake or Hollemans Station, was the first county seat of DeKalb County. It served as such from 1835 for a short time until the county seat was moved to Bootsville. Rawlingsville was located within the boundaries of the present city of Fort Payne but has long since ceased to exist as a recognized community.
DeKalb County Alabama Civil War Skirmishes
Dekalb CountyArchelogical Investigations
FORT PAYNE CAVE
A mile south of Fort Payne is a cave in Lookout Mountain, which a “boom” company some years ago converted into a summer resort. The detritus in front of the entrance was leveled off, steps constructed to the top, and a heavy stone wall built across the mouth, leaving an entrance a little less than 7 feet in width which was closed by gates. Inside the barrier the floor, now made tolerably level, extends about 30 feet toward the rear, to the natural rock wall, and is 50 feet from side to side, with a roof from 6 to 15 feet high. In the wall at the rear are two small openings through which explorers can pass to large chambers farther within. To the right of the front chamber is a branch cave which is high and wide at the beginning but soon becomes impassable from the accumulated rocks and earth rising to the roof. The left side of the front chamber is continued in another branch going directly back into the mountain. The roof and floor have an equal slope downward to a point some rods from the beginning, the clear space between them being not more than 4 feet. Beyond here the roof is high and there are some large expansions. A creek flows from the rear of the cave to a point estimated as 200 yards from the doorway, where it sinks into the earth. The noise of its fall is distinct throughout the front part of the cavern. There is considerable drip, and though dry stalactites and stalagmites occur in some places, over most of the front chamber their formation is still in progress. Outside of the doorway the solid rock walls show on each side, nowhere less than 25 feet apart. At a depth of 30 feet water flows from the rock and earth between these side walls, but there is no sign of solid bottom, so the depth of the cave is probably more than 30 feet below the present floor. Under existing conditions the cave would form an excellent shelter, being accessible, roomy, and with an abundant supply of fresh water. The drip from the ceiling could be avoided. But it does not follow that such was the case in the remote past. It is apparent that at one time the creek had its outlet through the mouth and down the gorge in front, the right branch of the cave being then open. From some cause, probably the formation of a sink hole above, water from the surface or near the surface found a way through this branch, carrying mud and rocks sufficient to fill the front chamber to its present floor, diverting the flow of the stream, and finally filling the cave through which it came. While the creek was flowing, occupation would be impossible, or at least inconvenient. When the mud began to settle in, the front portion would be shut off. This condition would hold until the stream found its new outlet and the branch cave had become entirely filled; and when these processes were completed the [ocr errors] floor of the cave would be practically at its present level. Under the circumstances exploration would probably, almost certainly, be fruitless. The company which owns the cave would also wish it restored to something like its present state.
On the estate of Dr. Ellis, 19 miles north of Fort Payne and 3 miles from Sulphur Springs, are two caves known locally as Big-mouth and Little-mouth. The smaller is closed by a locked gate. The larger has a rather imposing appearance from the outside. From a ledge of rock, in place, in front of it, one looks down a steep slope in which rocks up to 40 or 50 tons weight are imbedded. At a vertical depth of 30 feet is a level space not more than 8 or 10 square yards in area. From this a narrow crevice goes to the right. Within a few yards it reaches a hole which can be descended only by means of a rope or ladder. Persons have, however, gone several hundred yards in it. On the left of the level space and bounded on each side by solid rock walls is a pit 10 feet deep, caused by inflowing storm waters which have created this depression in seeking a small outlet, also toward the left. The height from the bottom of this sink to the roof of the cave is nearly 50 feet. Crossing this pit on a foot log, which rests on loose rock and earth at its farther end, a crevice varying from 6 to 10 feet wide goes inward for 50 feet. Earth covers the loose rock at the level of the foot log almost at once, and this earth has a steep ascent toward the rear. The crevice widens beyond the distance mentioned, though irregularly, being in some places 25 feet from side to side. So far as progress is concerned, the cave terminates 150 feet from the doorway in a blank wall. It may be that if the earth were out of the way further progress would be possible. Considerable digging has been done for saltpeter, but except near the front it has been only superficial. The top of the earth at the extreme rear of the cave is almost or quite as high as the roof at the front, which means that, if the bottom should be level, the thickness of this accumulated deposit is not less than 35 feet. As the dip is toward the rear and quite sharp, about 10 or 12 degrees, the earth here may well be much thicker than indicated. Excavation would be tedious and costly, as it would be impossible to dispose of the dirt except by blasting a deep trench through the rock in front to make room for wheeling it out.
There are two of these, both on the west slope of Lookout Mountain. One is near Brandon, 6 miles south of Fort Payne. The entrance is a large sink hole on the side of the mountain, descent into which is difficult owing to the steepness and large rocks. At the bottom the water which flows in over the muddy floor from the slope above—several acres in extent—rushes into a hole choked with loose stones and disappears. The second cave is about 3 miles northeast of Collinsville. Débris from the mountain has formed a wall across the entrance, which is naturally wide and high and opening out on a little flat in front. Some digging has been done for saltpeter at the front part of the cave, reaching about 30 feet back from the inner foot of the accumulation. In the pit thus formed water stands after every rain until it soaks away. Where it ends the “face” is about 5 feet high. On top, farther in, there is much travertine or stalagmite; in some places it extends entirely across the floor. In other places the floor is bare. There is constant drip, and in one room there is a little gully, where surface water in wet weather, entering from a small branch cave on one side, has cut an exit through the earth at the foot of the wall on the other side. The hole in which it disappears extends beyond the rays of a lamp, and a stone thrown in goes down a slope several feet in length. Very little working is needed to reduce any of the earth to soft, slippery mud, hence no excavation was possible.