Deatsville is a town in Elmore County, Alabama.
Alabama State Route 143 passes through the center of Deatsville, leading northwest 22 miles to Clanton and southeast 8 miles to Elmore. Montgomery, the state capital, is 23 miles to the south. Although Deatsville initially incorporated in 1903, it lapsed at some point after the 1910 U.S. Census and did not appear again as incorporated until 2000. As of the 2010 census, the population was 1,154, up from 340 in 2000.
Deatsville Alabama History
Named for W. S. Deats, who first settled there and built a sawmill in 1841, Deatsville was located along a stagecoach route and near a creek that supplied water power for the sawmill. Deatsville was in Autauga County until 1866, when Elmore County was formed.
By the late 1850s, the town had a sash, door, and blind factory, as well as a grist mill and sawmill. When the Civil War broke out in 1861, all of the equipment in these businesses was confiscated by the Confederate Army to use in the war effort.