Hale County Alabama
Hale County Alabama is located in the west-central part of the state in Alabama’s Black Belt.
Hale County’s Moundville Archaeological Park includes a number of Mississippian-era mounds built by Native Americans more than 1,000 years ago.
The lands of present-day Hale County were ceded to the United States by the Choctaw Indians in the Treaty of 1816.
Hale County Alabama Cities
Greensboro is a city in Hale County. At the 2010 census the population was 2,497, down from 2,731 at the 2000 census. The city is the county seat of Hale County, Greensboro was incorporated as a town in December 1823 as “Greensborough”. The name was soon simplified to “Greensboro”. The community was known as “Troy” prior to incorporation.
Moundville is a town in Hale and Tuscaloosa counties. It was incorporated on December 22, 1908. From its incorporation until the 1970 census, it was wholly within Hale County. At the 2010 census the population was 2,427, up from 1,809 at the 2000 census.
Hale County Alabama Towns
Akron is a town in Hale County, Alabama. In 1906, the owner of a large plantation, Waller Evan Wedgworth, sold part of his land to developers, and a construction boom followed. The town was incorporated in March 1918. At the 2010 census the population was 356, down from 521 at the 2000 census.
Newbern is a town in Hale County. It incorporated in 1854. The population as of the 2010 U.S. Census was 186, down from 231 in 2000. This was its lowest population since the census reported figures for the community beginning in 1880.
Hale County Alabama Unincorporated Communities
Darrah is an unincorporated community in Hale County.
Gallion, originally known as Macon Station was a plantation owned by Henry Augustine Tayloe on the Demopolis to Uniontown Rail Line in Hale County, Alabama. It is now known as Gallion.
Havana is an unincorporated community in Hale County.
Lock Five Alabama
Lock Five is an unincorporated community in Hale County. The Lock 5 Park and Recreation Area, which is maintained by the United States Army Corps of Engineers, is listed as one of the stops on the Alabama Birding Trails.
Prairieville is an unincorporated community in Hale County. The town is the location of the 1853 Carpenter Gothic style St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, on the National Register of Historic Places and a National Historic Landmark.
Sawyerville, previously known as Sawyers Depot, is an unincorporated community in west-central Hale County. It derives its name from the town’s first post master. Stewart Alabama
Wedgeworth, also known as Greenwood, is an unincorporated community in Hale County. Wedgeworth is located at the intersection of Alabama State Route 60 and Alabama State Route 14, 13.7 miles northeast of Greensboro.
Hale County Alabama Ghost Towns
Dates from 1900
Latitude N32 56.880′ Longitude W87 40-020′
Located about four miles northwest of Havaa on the junction of railroad and County Road 21
Dates from 1819
Latitude N32 42.919′ Longitude W85 48.252′
Located about one mile west-northwest of Walnut Hill
Evansville Alabama aka Evans Alabama
Latitude N32 50.287′ Longitude W87 45.148′
Located about three miles north of Wedgeworth and about one mile west of the junction of Country Road 34 and State Road 60
Far View Plantation
Latitude N32 48.340′ Longitude W87 39.340′
Located about six miles east of Wedgeworth and one-half mile east of the junction of County Road 32 and County Road 21 and south of Country Road 32
Latitude N32 44.107′ Longitude W87 40.051′
Located about five miles northwest of Greensboro and on the railroad about one-half mile southeast of the junction of the railroad and Country Road 30
Latitude N32 51.255′ Longitude W87 29.502′
About thirteen miles northeast of Greensboro, just north of County Road 85 and southwest of the junction of Country Road 85 and County Road 29
Latitude N32 31.362′ Longitude W87 35.787′
About five miles east of Prairieville on the junction of State Road 25 and County Road 12
Latitude N32 55.782′ Longitude W87 30.162′
Dates From: 1886
Latitude N32 57.935′ Longitude W87 39.347′
Info: LOCATED ABOUT 6 MILES NORTH NORTHWEST OF HAVANA AND ON THE JUNCTION OF THE RAILROAD AND CR 46.
Dates From: 1844
Latitude N32 54.668′ Longitude W87 42.363′
Info: LOCATED ABOUT 5 MILES WEST OF HAVANA AND ABOUT 2/10 OF THE JUNCTION OF THE RAILROAD AND CR 42.
Latitude N32 33.590′ Longitude W87 32.916′
LOCATED ABOUT 5 MILES SOUTH OF NEWBERN, JUST NORTH OF CR 10, AND 3/10 MILE EAST OF THE JUNCTION OF CR 10 AND CR 39, ABOUT 1 MILE FROM THE SOUTHEAST COUNTY LINE.
Arcola is a ghost town on the Black Warrior River in what is now Hale County, formerly Marengo County, Alabama.
Erie is a ghost town located in present-day Hale County. Erie was formerly the county seat of a larger Greene County, but the seat was moved to Eutaw in 1838 for the benefits of a more central location in a developing frontier area. Erie declined without the benefit of county government business.
Hale County Historic Destinations
Greensboro Opera House – Greensboro