Jefferson County Alabama
Jefferson County Alabama is located in the north-central part of Alabama and is the most populous county in the State of Alabama. As of the 2010 census, the population was 658,466. The county seat is Birmingham, the most populous city in the state.
Jefferson County was established on December 13, 1819, by the Alabama Legislature. It was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson. The county is located in the north-central portion of the state, on the southmost edge of the Appalachian Mountains, in the center of the (former) iron, coal, and limestone mining belt of the Southern United States.
Jefferson County Alabama Cities:
Adamsville is a city in western Jefferson County. It is north from the Birmingham suburb of Pleasant Grove. It initially incorporated in 1901 (although the 1910 U.S. Census stated 1900), but disincorporated in 1915. It later reincorporated in 1953.
Founded in 1887, Bessemer is located in southwestern Jefferson County. The Birmingham-Hoover metropolitan area where our city is located is home to over 1 million people. With about 27,000 residents Bessemer is a city with a rich history and great prospects for the future.
Center Point, Alabama
Fulton was a mining town in the 1900s. Fulton was incorporated in 1947. The town’s name is derived from the combination of the names of two nearby communities, Fulton Springs and Glendale.
This area was once known as Fulton Springs. Prior to the building of Interstate 65, US 31 was the main route for travelers northbound from Birmingham towards Nashville, Tennessee.
The early settlers of this area, most of them veterans of the War of 1812, recognized the beautiful woodlands as a productive area. Otis Dyer first homesteaded 80 acres in 1825. By the outbreak of the Civil War, a dozen families had claimed land — buying most of it from the government for twelve-and-a-half cents an acre.
After the Civil War, when the surrounding coal mines opened in the 1870s, Gardendale’s population doubled almost overnight. A grist mill was opened in 1873, built by Union soldier William H. Parker. A cooperative community canning plant for fruits and vegetables and a general store, opened by James Kimmons, soon followed.
In the latter 1800s and early 1900s, the city of Graysville was called Gin Town. Because Graysville had the only cotton gin for miles around, the town and community grew. As the community grew, the need for businesses and houses of worship grew as well. One street over from this site, the Union Church was established in the early 1900s. All people of all denominations met and worshiped there as it was the only church for miles around. The City of Graysville was incorporated November 17, 1945. The first meeting of the town council took place at the old school house on January 16, 1946. Later that year, the original city council established the Graysville Water Works system. In 1949, the city council established the Graysville Gas Board which eventually became the Graysville Municipal Gas System.
In the last twenty years Helena has experienced rapid and steady growth and is now recognized as a prime location for new opportunity and continued development .
Mountain Brook, Alabama
Pleasant Grove, Alabama
Vestavia Hills, Alabama
Jefferson County Alabama Towns:
County Line, Alabama
North Johns, Alabama
Sylvan Springs, Alabama
West Jefferson, Alabama
Jefferson County Alabama Communities:
Grayson Valley, Alabama
McDonal Chapel, Alabama
Mount Olive, Alabama
Rock Creek, Alabama