Wilsonville Alabama

Print More

Wilsonville Alabama

Location of Wilsonville in Shelby County, Alabama.

Wilsonville is a small, family-focused town located in the heart of Shelby County, Alabama.  Wilsonville’s rich heritage and gentle living has made it one of the most desirable locations to live in the area.  

Wilsonville has six active churches inside the town limits.  There is a baseball field complex and a softball field.  Wilsonville has a very qualified Fire Department with 22 members and 2 fire stations.  We also have a useful library complete with a summer reading program and computers for public use.  Wilsonville is a “GREAT PLACE TO CALL HOME!!”

Wilsonville Alabama History

The first settler in the Wilsonville area was Henry W. Robertson, who brought his family from South Carolina in 1812 and settled one thousand acres on the location which includes the present farms of W. F. Robertson, James Robertson, and Ralph Robinson—the last being no relation to the Robertsons.  At this time, the closest neighbors were one family of settlers in the Easonville area (a few miles south of Pell City) and one in the Montevallo area.  Alabama became a state in 1819, and in 1822, a land office was opened in Tuscaloosa.  Mr. Robertson, Mr. Wallace who stayed with the Robertsons while picking the land he wished to claim and other settlers rode horseback to Tuscaloosa to claim their land.  The Wallace plantation house still stands four miles north of Wilsonville where Highway 76 connects with Highway 25.

The town of Wilsonville was begun about the time the Indians were driven out of the northern part of Alabama.  Some are reported to have passed through the site on which the town is now located.  (Read entire historical document – PDF)

Wilsonville Alabama Places of Interest

The John E. Densler House and Jackson’s Four-Mile Farm are listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage. Just east of Wilsonville on Route 25, a historic marker notes the location of the remains of three forts built by Confederate troops under the command of Maj. William T. Walthall to protect the railroad trestles across the nearby Coosa River.
Nearby Lay Lake encompasses approximately 12,000 acres with 289 miles of shoreline. It offers a range of water sports, including fishing, boating, water skiing, sailing, and swimming.
Whitfield Cemetery
Lazy Eight Airpark LLC
Helms Park
Fourmile Cemetery
Fourmile School (historical)
Old Chapel Methodist Church
Fourmile Baptist Church
Old Chapel Cemetery
Lyon Church (historical)
Wilsonville Elementary School
Wilsonville Fire Department Station 1
Wilsonville Police Department
Wilsonville Cemetery
Wilsonville Town Hall
Wilsonville
First Baptist Church
Kowakas Mobile Home Park
Wilsonville Post Office
Farr Cemetery
Lewis (historical)
Southeast Shelby County Rescue Station 2
Wilsonville Fire Department Station 2
Lick Branch
Ingram Camp
Heaton Cemetery
Bulley Creek
Kirkland Cemetery
Valentine
McGowans Ferry (historical)
Chitothibi (historical)
Earnest C Gaston Steam Plant
Cedar Grove Freewill Baptist Church
Cedar Grove Cemetery
Ray Cemetery
Dry Branch
Johnson Cemetery
Mountain View Church
Carleton Point
Indian Shoals
Smiths Camp
Homestead
Findleys Mill (historical)
Wright School (historical)
Teague Bridge
Lanka Oka (historical)
Muddy Prong
Clear Prong
Beeswax Creek

Comments are closed.