Randolph County Alabama is set amidst a landscape of hills and many lakes and river and offers many opportunities for wildlife viewing and outdoor recreation.
The Alabama Legislature created Randolph County on December 18, 1832, from lands acquired from the Creek Indians in the 1832 Treaty of Cusseta.
The Tallapoosa River runs through Randolph County and is home to 120 species of fish and 31 species of mussel. The R. L. Harris Dam forms the 10,000-acre Lake Wedowee on the Upper Tallapoosa. Both the Upper and Middle Tallapoosa tributaries offer a range of recreational opportunities and scenic views in Randolph County. A few tributaries of the Chattahoochee River wind their way through the eastern half of the county as well.
Atchinalgi : Creek Indian Village
ALABAMA INDIAN VILLAGES, TOWNS AND SETTLEMENTS INDEX PAGE
On the east bank of the Tallapoosa River, in Randolph County, Alabama, near the mouth of Cedar Creek was another Upper Creek village Atchinalgi. The community was destroyed on November 13, 1813 by General James White and his troops from Tennessee. Wikipedia contributors, “James White (general),” Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=James_White_(general)&oldid=827827679 (accessed March 20, 2018). Following the Fort Mims massacre of August 1813, Andrew Jackson and John Coffee led the Tennessee militia into northern Alabama in October of that year to engage a contingent of hostile “Red Stick” Creeks. The militiamen scored victories at the Battle of Tallushatchee (November 3) and at the Battle of Talladega (November 9).
Randolph County Alabama population is located in the east central part of the state and its populations is 22,913. The Alabama Legislature created Randolph County on December 18, 1832, from lands acquired from the Creek Indians in the 1832 Treaty of Cusseta. Its county seat is Wedowee. Its name is in honor of John Randolph, a member of the United States Senate from Virginia. The first county seat for Randolph County was established in 1833 at Hedgeman Triplett’s Ferry on the west bank of the Big Tallapoosa River, about 10 miles west of Wedowee.
Louina Alabama, sometimes called Ole Louina, is a ghost town located 14 miles west of Roanoke Alabama and about one mile east of Wadley Alabama in Randolph County, Alabama. Louina Alabama Native American Tribes
The story that has been passed through generations goes that the town was originally settled by Creek Indians defeated in the Battle of Horse Shoe Bend by Andrew Jackson. Louina is named for an Indian woman who ran a trading post some years after it was taken over.Louina was settled by the Indians, pushed to Alabama by the white settlers from the overcrowded east during the 1830s. The town was named for an Indian woman, the wife of an Indian Chief named Nicahargo, who operated a successful trading post which quickly became the metropolis of its day and section. Ole Louina was a community during early settlement of Randolph County which was settled after the Battle of Horseshoe Bend in 1814 when the Creek Indians were defeated by General Andrew Jackson. The town of Louina was “one mile North, on the East bank of Tallapoosa River. It was settled in 1834.