Atchinalgi : Creek Indian Village

Atchinalgi : Creek Indian Village
ALABAMA INDIAN VILLAGES, TOWNS AND SETTLEMENTS INDEX PAGE

On the east bank of the Tallapoosa River, in Randolph County, Alabama,  near the mouth of Cedar Creek was another Upper Creek village Atchinalgi. The community was destroyed on November 13, 1813 by General James White and his troops from Tennessee.  Wikipedia contributors, “James White (general),” Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=James_White_(general)&oldid=827827679 (accessed March 20, 2018). Following the Fort Mims massacre of August 1813, Andrew Jackson and John Coffee led the Tennessee militia into northern Alabama in October of that year to engage a contingent of hostile “Red Stick” Creeks. The militiamen scored victories at the Battle of Tallushatchee (November 3) and at the Battle of Talladega (November 9).

A Map of the American Indian Nations

A Map of the American Indian Nations, adjoining to the Mississippi, West & East Florida, Georgia, S. & N. Carolina, Virginia, &c. Depicts the American colonies from Lake Erie south to Florida and from the Mississippi River to the Atlantic coast. Names of Native American tribes are denotedthroughout the map. North Carolina tribes shown are the “Upper Cheerake” (Cherokee), Congarees, and “Katahba” (Catawba). “Granvill” is printed in the northeastern part of the colony, denoting Lord Granville’s Line.

Map of the Creek Cession according to the 1814 treaty

Abikakutchee

Abikakutchee – Creek Indian Town
Alabama Indian Villages, Towns and Settlements Index Page

The Indian village of Abikakutchee, also spelled “Abicouchie,” and “Abikudshi” was located, according to W. Stuart Harris’s Dead Towns of Alabama, “Situated on a mile-wide plain, Abikudshi was approximately a mile from where the Sylacauga Highway crosses over Tallassehatchee Creek, on the right bank of the creek, 5 miles east of the Coosa River, in Talladega County, Alabama.”  

Abikakutchee was another Upper Creek Indian town located in Talladega County. The site was first recorded on maps in 1733 and a census in 1760 listed 130 Indian warriors living there. Those living there were later reported to have a few cattle, hogs and horses and to assist the white people who lived among them. The site of the town is a mile from where the Sylacauga Highway goes over Tallassehatchee Creek.

Abihka

Abihka was an Upper Creek Indian town east of the Coosa River and south of Tallassehatchee Creek. The first record of the town is found on Delisle’s map of 1704, where they are “les Abelkas,” and are noted on the east side of the Coosa River, apparently just above the influx of the Pakantalahassi.— Winsor. Belen’s map of 1733, also places the “Abeccas” on the east side of the Coosa, but at some distance from it. The name “Abihka” (meaning unknown), is sometimes used to refer to all the Upper Creek peoples. The Abihka were the remnants of the 16th century “Chiefdom of Coosa.”

Native-American-Tribes-Alabama

DIGITAL ALABAMA GUIDE TO INDIAN VILLAGES, TOWNS AND SETTLEMENTS

Alabama Indian Villages, Towns and Settlements
Abihka
Abihka was an Upper Creek Indian town east of the Coosa River and south of Tallassehatchee Creek. The first record of the town is found on Delisle’s map of 1704, where they are “les Abelkas,” and are noted on the east side of the Coosa River, apparently just above the influx of the Pakantalahassi.— Winsor. Abikakutchee
Abikakutchee was another Upper Creek Indian town located in Talladega County. The site was first recorded on maps in 1733 and a census in 1760 listed 130 Indian warriors living there. Those living there were later reported to have a few cattle, hogs and horses and to assist the white people who lived among them.