Fort Harker, located near Stevenson, Alabama, was a military fortification built by the Union Army during the American Civil War, constructed in the summer of 1862. Union General William Rosecrans established his headquarters at Fort Harker in July, 1863. The design of the fort is typical of many built during the American Civil War. The fort was constructed as a square earthen redoubt, 45 meters (148 feet) on a side. The walls were constructed of rammed earth 4.3 meters (14 feet) high, surrounded by a 2.5 meters (8.2 feet) deep dry moat.