Hanceville is located in north-central Alabama in Cullman County. It is home to Wallace State Community College and the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament Cathedral at Our Lady of Angels Monastery. Hanceville has a mayor/council form of government.
Hanceville Alabama Demographics
At the 2000 census there were 2,951 people, 1,167 households, and 710 families living in the city. The population density was 718.6 people per square mile. There were 1,323 housing units at an average density of 322.2 per square mile. The racial makeup of the city was 93.09% White, 4.61% Black or African American, 0.61% Native American, 0.07% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.75% from other races, and 0.85% from two or more races. 2.30% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
Hanceville Alabama History
Hanceville Finds A Home in Cullman County Alabama
The Hanceville area was first settled in the 1820s by settlers from South Carolina and Virginia and was located in Blount County when it was created in 1832. One account says the first town at the location was called Gilmer, but the name was changed to Hanceville in 1872 by postmaster P. H. Kinney, to honor his father Hance Kinney, an Irish immigrant and first mayor of the renamed town. The Louisville and Nashville Railroad arrived in the early 1870s and a depot was built by 1873, sparking some economic development. Hanceville was divided when Cullman County was created in 1877 and would be incorporated in May 1879. Half the town resided in Blount County until 1885, when boundaries were redrawn, and it became wholly part of Blount.
The boundary between the counties was again revised in 1901 and Hanceville became wholly part of Cullman County.
Wikipedia contributors, “Hanceville, Alabama,” Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Hanceville,_Alabama&oldid=837937689 (accessed May 30, 2018).
Hanceville Alabama Points of Interest
Hanceville is also home to Alabama’s oldest paintball and airsoft field, Mount Doom Paintball Field. It has been in operation since the 1980s.