Alabama is divided into 67 counties and contains 460 incorporated municipalities consisting of 169 cities and 291 towns. These cities and towns cover only 9.6% of the state’s land mass but are home to 60.4% of its population.
The Code of Alabama 1975 defines the legal use of the terms “town” and “city” based on population. A municipality with a population of 2,000 or more is a city, while less than 2,000 is a town.
For legislative purposes, municipalities are divided into eight classes based on population.
Class 1 is defined as all cities with a population of 300,000. Although no cities in the state currently meet this population requirement, Birmingham was allowed to remain a class 1 city since it incorporated with a 1970 population of 300,910 before the cutoff date of June 28, 1979.
Class 2 are cities between 175,000 and 299,999 inhabitants which include present day Montgomery, Mobile, and Huntsville.
There are no present Class 3 cities which require populations between 100,000 and 174,999 inhabitants.
Tuscaloosa, Hoover, Dothan, Decatur and Auburn are Class 4 cities with between 50,000 and 99,999 inhabitants.
Ten cities fall under Class 5: a population greater than 25,000 and less than 49,999.
There are 34 cities that are Class 6, with between 12,000 and 24,999 inhabitants,
and 40 cities that are Class 7 with a population from 6,000 to 11,999 inhabitants.
Class 8 includes all towns, plus all remaining cities with populations of less than 6,000.
The largest municipality by population is Birmingham with 212,237 residents while the smallest by population is McMullen with 10 people. The largest municipality by land area is Huntsville, which spans 209.05 sq mi, while the smallest is McMullen at 0.11 sq mi.
Huntsville is in Madison County Alabama in the central part of the far northern region of the State of Alabama. Huntsville is the county seat of Madison County. The city extends west into neighboring Limestone County. If you would like to become a sponsor, advertise a related location, service or vacation spot that would add to the usefulness of this site, please email us: email@example.com.
Whether a first time home buyer or seasoned retiree, Oxford is a special place to live. Oxford’s mild climate allows participation in outdoor activities all year round, a big plus if golf or tennis is your game.
Residents will tell you that Oxford is a great place for families. Children attend award-winning schools and have opportunities to participate in a variety of after-school activities. With several athletic programs to choose from, it’s clear that children can experience a variety of activities while growing up in Oxford.
Compiled in 1921 by Thomas McAdory Owen, LL.D.
Post office and station at the crossing of the Louisville & Nashville Railroad and the Southern Railway; in the northern suburbs of Anniston, 2 miles from the center of the city. It is one of the cotton-mill and iron-mining sections of the city of Anniston. Population: 1910-528. The locality was settled by the Hudgins family in the late thirties and for years was the terminus of the Selma, Rome and Dalton Railroad, being the shipping station for the Oxford furnace. During the War, the Confederate Government operated both the railroad and the furnace, the iron being shipped to Selma to make “Ironclads” for the Confederacy.
The locality was settled about 1834, or earlier. Among its prominent settlers and citizens have been Dr. Atkinson Pelham, Dr. John H. Vandiver, Col. John M. Crook, S. D. McClelen, Elisha McClelen, Robert A. McMillan, Daniel Crow, Jacob R. Green, Lewis D. Jones, Seaborn Whatley, Floyd Bush, Daniel Bush, Rev. J. J. D. Renfroe, and Frank Woodruff. “The Gallant Pelham,” son of Dr. Pelham, was born and reared near Alexandria.
The establishment and growth of Fort McClellan and the Anniston Army Depot during the First and the Second World Wars boosted Anniston’s social life and economic status, luring in thousands of new residents.
The batteries, which had been ably planned, but imperfectly constructed, under direction of Capt. Harris, of the Engineer Corps, contained forty-four guns, mostly 32 and 42 pound smooth-bores, with a few 64-pounders and one or two 100-pound rifles.
Fresh beef was hauled off and buried by the wagon load; barrels of corned beef remained untouched in the camp; while rice, flour, molasses and sugar were issued in larger quantities than could possibly be eaten. These were the last days of the “ Flush times of the First Alabama.”