Smiths Station Alabama

Smiths Station Alabama

Smiths Station, one of the most thriving and fastest growing communities in Lee County, was settled in 1826. In 1845 the Central of Georgia Railroad was built through the community from Columbus, Georgia to Opelika, Alabama. The depot was named for Mr. Broadus Smith, a prominent early settler who lived near by.

Phenix-City-Alabama

Phenix City

In the late 19th century, Girard made up most of current downtown Phenix City, while Phenix City was mostly in Lee County. In the early 20th century, the two towns consolidated into the present Phenix City as county lines were redrawn to account for population shifts involved in the Auburn University opening and expansion.