In Chilton County, gold can be found in Mulberry Creek along with its tributaries, the Coosa River, Blue Creek and Rocky Creek, as well as many drainages that are unnamed that will produce placer gold.
Clanton, Alabama was founded by Alfred Baker in 1868, when Chilton County was formed. Prior to establishment in 1868, the Town of Clanton was known as the community of “Goose Pond”. Baker County was renamed to Chilton County and the community of “Goose Pond” became the Town of Clanton.
Clanton was named in honor of General James H. Clanton, a brigadier in the Confederate States Army, and was incorporated on April 23, 1873. Baker was also elected first mayor of the town.
Each autumn, the town of Thorsby celebrates its heritage with the Annual Swedish Festival that includes an arts and crafts fair, a pageant, music, car and motorcycle shows and food native to the American South. The town maintains a museum in the old Norwegian Lutheran Church, now called “Helen Jenkins Chapel”. A Scandinavian Cemetery is available for visits any time.