St. Clair County was established on November 20, 1818 by the Alabama Territory legislature by splitting the area from Shelby County. In 1836, a portion of St. Clair County was separated to establish Cherokee County and DeKalb County. In 1866, after the Civil War, a northeast section of the county was used to create Etowah County.
Gallant, also known as Clear Springs or Greasy Cove, is a census-designated place and unincorporated community in Etowah county and St. Clair county. It lies west of the city of Gadsden, As of the 2010 census, its population was 855.