Fort Burnt Corn. A settlers’ stockaded fort built by Richard Warren. Also known as Fort Warren.
Landrums Fort / Mott’s Fort In Clarke County on Co. Rd. 3 next to Berry’s Chapel. A Creek War fort was built here in 1812 around the home of John Landrum. It was also the site of the first meeting of the county court which met in 1813 while Clarke County was still a part […]
Built by General Andrew Jackson in September 1813 as a main base for his army.
A War of 1812 militia fort established in 1814 near Milstead, Macon County, Alabama.
Fort Jackson Fort Jackson and Fort Toulouse are two forts that shared the same site at the fork of the Coosa River and the Tallapoosa River, near Wetumpka, Alabama. The last of a series of forts built, Fort Jackson was the scene of some of the most significant events in American history. Fort Jackson was established in April […]
Turner’s Fort Located eight miles south and five miles west of Fort Easley, in the West Bend Community two miles east of the Tombigbee River near the residence of Abner Turner, or about 72 miles north of Mobile, Alabama. Three miles distant, on the Tombigbee River was the Choctaw reservation known as Turkey Town. This […]
Fort Madison Fort Madison was in the north-east corner of section one, township six, range three east of the St. Stephen’s meridian, on the water-shed line, which was then the eastern boundary of Clarke County. It was north of Fort Glass only two hundred and twenty-five yards, and the two stockades constituted one locality, being […]
Creek War Battle Sites in Alabama The Creek War (1813–1814), also known as the Red Stick War and the Creek Civil War, was a regional war between opposing Creek factions, European empires and the United States, taking place largely in today’s Alabama and along the Gulf Coast. The war of began as a civil war, […]
Fort Crawford once provided defense for Alabama settlers in what is today East Brewton, Alabama.
This wooden stockade of McGrews Fort enclosed nearly two acres. Some of the palisades post were still in place as late as 1879, and around the fort locality was an old field.
Located on the east side of the Alabama River at Weatherford’s Bluff, Claiborne, Monroe County, thirty-five miles north of Fort Mims.
Powell’s Fort, aka James Powell’s Fort, was a settlers’ fort located about three miles south of Fort Carney near Oven Bluff
EASLEy’s Fort was on the Tombigbee river, in section eleven, township eleven, range one west, at what is now called Wood’s Bluff.
A Federal post that was erected at Mount Vernon Landing soon after the Spanish vacated the northern portion of West Florida. Aaron Burr was held here in 1807 after his arrest for treason. At one time (pre Civil War) the site was reserved as a subpost of Mount Vernon Arsenal. Also spelled Stodderd in some sources. The name of the town was later altered from the original spelling.
Gardener and Shaw were shot dead; Butler and Hinson wounded. Saffold and Hinson escaped on horseback to Fort Bibb, but Capt. Butler, thrown from his horse and left on foot, was killed by the Indians.
Chinnaby’s Fort In 1813 a Creek chief named Chinnaby, friendly to the Americans, had a kind of fort at Ten Islands, on the Coosa River, known as Chinnaby’s fort.
During the Civil War, a Confederate fort named Fort Gullett was built on the site of Fort Carney. Fort Gullett was built in 1862 to protect the nearby salt wells. Fort Gullett also served to prevent Federal gunboats from traveling up the Tombigbee River.
Abner Turner’s Fort was a settlers’ stockaded fort with two or three blockhouses, later abandoned for Fort Republic at St. Stephens.
Built in 1813 as defense against the Indians, Fort Gullet was four miles south of present day Jackson Alabama.
Fort Armstrong was a stockade fort built in present-day Cherokee County, Alabama during the Creek War.
Tallassee (also “Talassee,” “Talisi,” “Tellassee,” and various similar spellings) is a prehistoric and historic Native American site in Blount County and Monroe County, Tennessee, in the southeastern United States. Tallassee was the southernmost of a string of Overhill Cherokee villages that spanned the lower Little Tennessee River in the 18th century. Although it receives scant attention in primary historical accounts, Tallassee is one of the few Overhill towns to appear on every major 18th-century map of the Little Tennessee Valley.