A settlers’ stockaded fort built by Richard Warren. Also known as Fort Burnt Corn. The probable site is located about one-half mile south of the junction of Monroe County Roads 5 and 42.
The “Battle of Burnt Corn”, July 1813, was actually fought near Appleton along Burnt Corn Creek in present-day Escambia County.
In 1816 Colonel Richard Warren constructed Fort Warren near Pine Orchard, approximately 6 miles north of Burnt Corn, for protection of settlers and travelers. Many settlers from Conecuh & Monroe Counties took refuge in this fort during the many Indian uprisings.