Bay-Minette-Post-Office-Mural: Removal of the County Seat
Baldwin County Alabama
Baldwin County Alabama is a county of Alabama. According to the 2015 estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau, the population is approximately 203,709. The county seat is Bay Minette. it is the largest county in Alabama by area and is located on the eastern side of Mobile Bay.
In the first days of Baldwin County, the town of McIntosh Bluff on the Tombigbee River was the county seat. (It is now included in Washington County, west of Baldwin County.) The county seat was transferred to the town of Blakeley in 1810, and then to the city of Daphne in 1868. In 1900, by an act of the legislature of Alabama, the county seat was authorized for relocation to the city of Bay Minette; however, the city of Daphne resisted this relocation.
To achieve the relocation, the men of Bay Minette devised a scheme. They fabricated a murder to lure the Sheriff and his deputy out of the Daphne. While the law was chasing down the fictitious killer during the late hours, the group of Bay Minette men stealthily traveled the seventeen miles to Daphne, stole the Baldwin County Courthouse records, and delivered them to the city of Bay Minette, where Baldwin County’s county seat remains. A New Deal mural, completed by WPA artists during the Great Depression, depicts the events. It hangs in the Bay Minette United States post office .
Magnolia Springs is a town in south Baldwin County. The town voted to incorporate in 2006. As of the 2010 census it had a population of 723. Magnolia Springs Alabama History
Magnolia Springs is located at the headwaters of the Magnolia River, which was originally called River de Lin, or River del Salto by local residents. Various boats and steamships brought travelers into the area.
Alabama Civil War Timeline
September 8, 1864
Union Troops Destory Bon Secour Salt Works
BALDWIN COUNTY MAIN PAGE
Baldwin County Alabama contributed to the Confederate Civil War activities through production of salt from the Bon Secour Salt Works which went into production in early 1863. The salt production facility was was comprised of long open sheds with a brick firebox running down the center of the shed. Iron containers positioned along the fire box and were heated by a fire and as the hot air traveled through a fire box, it boiled the brine solution in the pots leaving the salt to be collected. The brine was taken from pits dug into the area’s salt marshlands.
In September, 1864, Union troops proceeded to Bon Secour to destroy the salt works. Captain C.W. Stone of the 6th Michigan Volunteers recorded that forces under his command destroyed 990 of the iron vats and hauled away 30,000 feet of lumber. In his official report, Captain Stone mentioned that his forces burned all that was left behind at Bon Secour including
“a number of buildings having been constructed by the Confederate forces as quarters for soldiers, the place being known as Camp Anderson.”
On September 8, 1864, a combined army-navy raiding party led by Acting Volunteer Lieutenant George Wiggin, USN, left the Fort Morgan anchorage at 7:00 a.m. Wiggin commanded three naval gunboats, the USS Tritonia, the USS Rodolph, and the USS Stockdale and one army transport, the steamer Planter, which had two barges in tow.
Resmondo Boat Works offers expert painting and repair services for customers on the Gulf Coast. With four generations of experience in the boat industry behind them, Resmondo can professionally repair and paint any surface on your boat to have it looking like new in no time. We are certified and skilled in all repairs, fixing any problem you may come across with your boat no matter how large or small. Located in Perdido Beach, Alabama across the bay from Orange Beach, Alabama and Pensacola, Florida. Resmondo Boat Works specializes in Fiberglass and Wooden Boat Repair and Painting and Engine Re-Power Services.
BATTLEFIELDS AND FORTS MAIN PAGE
ALABAMA CIVIL WAR MAIN PAGE
Battery Duportail (1901-1931) – Battery Duportail (1901-1931) – Battery Duportail was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 12 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Morgan , Baldwin County, Alabama. The battery was named in G.O. 78, 15 May 1903 after Maj. Gen. Louis L. Duportail, Chief of Engineers (1777-1783), Continental Army, who served with distinction during the Revolutionary War and who died at sea in 1802 while en route to France. Battery construction started in 1898, was completed in 1900 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 3 Jun 1900 at a cost of $ 172,646.05. Declared surplus in 1931.
Old Federal Road in Baldwin County Alabama
This image is a worksheet map by Hale drawn from an aerial photo which shows the old federal highway system in Baldwin County, Alabama, near the Mobile River. The map shows the old stage road and Highway 59 that intersect with the Old Federal Road. The map has a detailed description of various physical features like Nanahuba Island, rivers, creeks, lakes, ponds, and swamps. The map shows the location of a saw mill. The map also shows the locations of Fort Montgomery and Fort Mimms. The map includes a number of numerical designations of unknown meaning.
The Gulf Shores Museum houses artifacts from the city’s history and it also tells the story of the entire region’s past as well. But the story of the Gulf Shores Museum does not stop with the contents of the building. Thanks to the Oyster Bay Baptist Church, there is plenty to see outside in the backyard of the Gulf Shores Museum as well.
Explore new and permanent exhibits as well as seasonal programs and events. Admission is free to the public.
The Siege of Fort Morgan occurred during the American Civil War as part of the battle for Mobile Bay in 1864. Union ground forces led by General Gordon Granger conducted a short siege of the Confederate garrison at the mouth of Mobile Bay under the command of General Richard L. Page. The Confederate surrender helped shut down Mobile as an effective Confederate port city.
Admiral David Farragut had defeated the Confederate navy in Mobile Bay on August 5 and Fort Gaines, guarding the western approach to the bay, had surrendered to the cooperating Union land forces under Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger.
Swift-Coles Historic House
17424 Swift Coles Lane
Bon Secour AL 36511
This 1882 Tidewater Mansion is located on the Bon Secour River and was the home of the Charles Swift Family. It was purchased in 1976 by Nick Cole who restored the home to it original beauty. The property is now owned and operated by the Baldwin County Historic Development Commission. This beautiful 16 room mansion and grounds take you back in time to the twentieth century and life along the river. This 6000 sq ft home began in 1882 as a simple four-room structure in the bend of the Bon Secour River. In 1898, Charles & Susan Swift bought the house and brought their growing family here to begin a sawmill and lumber business that continues in south Alabama to this day. They built a sawmill on the river east of the house, and although it burned in 1913, their business continued to expand. Eleven of their children grew to adulthood here, and the house was enlarged in 1902 and in 1908.
In 1976, the home was purchased by Nicholas Coles. An entrepreneur and antiques collector, he made this his home until his death in 2007. Open Tuesday and Friday from 10 am to 4 pm. Last tour start at 3 pm.
Founded in 1984, the American Sport Art Museum and Archives (ASAMA) is dedicated to the preservation of sports art, history and literature. The ASAMA collection is composed of more than 1,500 pieces across all media, including paintings, sculptures, assemblages, prints, posters and photography. The museum is open to the public, free of charge, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Waterville USA is a 20 acre waterpark and amusement park located ¼ of a mile from the beach in a beautiful resort community, Gulf Shores, Alabama. Waterville opened the original waterpark in 1986 and since that time the park has added over $10 million in new or replaced attractions. Waterville USA has the best collection of water rides on the Gulf Coast!