Home of 911 and The Historic Red Phone
1901 11th Ave
The first 911 call was made from Marion County Alabama in the city of Haleyville Alabama on February 16, 1968. A red rotary dial phone was used to make the call. The phone is housed in a plexiglass box in Haleyville city hall. The phone is on display during city hall business hours only so you might call to confirm.
The area’s first inhabitants, the Cherokee Nation, lived in the area between Rocky Ravine and City Lake Park. They lived near the “division of the waters.” There is a continental divide in downtown Haleyville where water runs north to the Tennessee, south to the Warrior and west to the Tombigbee. When the Cherokee were forced out in 1836, many refused to go and and later intermarried.
The “Republic” of Winston, present-day Winston County, Alabama, was one of several places in the Confederate States of America where disaffection during the American Civil War was strong. In Winston County, this opposition became violent and had long-lasting political consequences—deep enough to generate a legend after the war that the county had seceded from Alabama.
Nauvoo is a town in Walker and Winston counties. As of the 2010 census, the population of the town is 221, down from 284 in 2000. The town of Nauvoo began as a small agricultural community known as Blackwell’s Crossing. The construction of the Northern Alabama Railway through the area in 1888 led to increased exploitation of the area’s abundant coal and timber resources.
Nauvoo Alabama Camp McDowell
Camp McDowell, the official camp and conference center of the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama, is located here.
The lower falls of Caney Creek in the Bankhead National Forest, which covers nearly 200,000 acres in Lawrence, Franklin, and Winston counties. The forest was established in 1918 and renamed in honor of U.S. Representative William B. Bankhead in 1942.
Double Springs is a town in Winston County, Alabama. The city is the county seat of Winston County. The county seat was initially located at Houston, but by referendum in 1883, Double Springs prevailed and the county seat was removed to there. Double Springs is located at 34°9′6″N 87°24′16″W (34.151642, -87.404390). Double Springs Alabama Attractions
Double Springs rests inside the William B. Bankhead National Forest, and is near Lewis Smith Lake.