Fort Burnt Corn. A settlers’ stockaded fort built by Richard Warren. Also known as Fort Warren.
Landrums Fort / Mott’s Fort A Creek War fort was built here in 1812 around the home of John Landrum. It was also the site of the first meeting of the county court which met in 1813 while Clarke County was still a part of the Mississippi Territory. These two wooden stockades were located eleven […]
Built by General Andrew Jackson in September 1813 as a main base for his army.
A War of 1812 militia fort established in 1814 near Milstead, Macon County, Alabama.
A currated list of forts in alabama including civil war forts, war of 1812 forts, current and past military forts.
Fort Jackson Fort Jackson and Fort Toulouse are two forts that shared the same site at the fork of the Coosa River and the Tallapoosa River, near Wetumpka, Alabama. The last of a series of forts built, Fort Jackson was the scene of some of the most significant events in American history. Fort Jackson was established in April […]
Turner’s Fort Located eight miles south and five miles west of Fort Easley, in the West Bend Community two miles east of the Tombigbee River near the residence of Abner Turner, or about 72 miles north of Mobile, Alabama. Three miles distant, on the Tombigbee River was the Choctaw reservation known as Turkey Town. This […]
Fort Sinquefield Fort Sinquefield was about ten miles north of Fort Madison, on the western side of Bassett’s Creek, a large stream of water for a creek, on section thirteen, township eight, range three east, a smaller stockade built very much in the same manner. It was about five miles south-east from the present town of […]
Fort Madison Fort Madison was in the north-east corner of section one, township six, range three east of the St. Stephen’s meridian, on the water-shed line, which was then the eastern boundary of Clarke County. It was north of Fort Glass only two hundred and twenty-five yards, and the two stockades constituted one locality, being […]
Creek War Battle Sites in Alabama The Creek War (1813–1814), also known as the Red Stick War and the Creek Civil War, was a regional war between opposing Creek factions, European empires and the United States, taking place largely in today’s Alabama and along the Gulf Coast. The war of began as a civil war, […]
Mobile was originally founded by Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville in 1702 as Fort Louis de la Mobile at 27-Mile Bluff up river (27 miles [43 km] from the mouth). After the Mobile River flooded and damaged the fort, Mobile was relocated in 1711 to the current site. A temporary wooden stockade fort was constructed, also named Fort Louis after the old fort up river. In 1723, construction of a new brick fort with a stone foundation began, renamed later as Fort Condé in honor of Louis Henri de Bourbon, duc de Bourbon and prince de Condé.
Fort Crawford once provided defense for Alabama settlers in what is today East Brewton, Alabama.
General Andrew Jackson gathered a force at Fort Montgomery before moving on Pensacola in November of 1814. Later, the fort was occupied by troops under Major Uriah Blue while conducting raids against Red Sticks.
This wooden stockade of McGrews Fort enclosed nearly two acres. Some of the palisades post were still in place as late as 1879, and around the fort locality was an old field.
Fort Dale (1818-1818) – A Militia Fort established in 1818 near Greenville, Butler County, Alabama. Named Fort Dale after Colonel Samuel Dale who directed its establishment.
Fort St. Stephens was located on the west bank of the Tombigbee River, on a high bluff, Washington County, Alabama, about 67 miles north of Mobile, Alabama.
The camp was informally named after Major General John J. Coppinger, initial commanding officer of the 4th Corps. Some newspaper articles refer to the camp as “Camp Mobile” in the early days after it was established.
Fort Hampton Fort Hampton (1809-1817) – A U.S Army fort established by Colonel Reuben J. Meigs in 1809, west of Athens in Limestone County, Alabama. Named Fort Hampton after Brigadier General Wade Hampton. Abandoned in 1817. Established to protect Chickasaw Indian lands from settler encroachment. Two companies of soldiers were garrisoned there until the Indian […]
Located on the east side of the Alabama River at Weatherford’s Bluff, Claiborne, Monroe County, thirty-five miles north of Fort Mims.
Fort Williams was important in both the War of 1812 and again during the Creek War, it having served in the years between as an Indian Agency.
Explore Forts of Alabama – Fort Sidney Johnston: A Confederate U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1862 near Mobile in Mobile County, Alabama