Fort St Stephens
Fort St. Stephens, established by the French, probably about 1714, held afterwards by the Spaniards, who made there a settlement about 1786, given up by the Spaniards to the Americans in 1799. So far as the Creek Indians were concerned, this was considered an impregnable fortress. It was on the west bank of the Tombigbee, on a high bluff, at the head of sloop navigation.
Located on the west bank of the Tombigbee River, on a high bluff, Washington County, Alabama, about 67 miles north of Mobile, Alabama. Established by the French about 1714, held afterwards by the Spanish, who made a settlement there about 1786, given up by the Spaniards to the Americans in 1799. Considered by the Creeks impregnable.
It is on the Banks of the Tombigbee River and situated on a high bluff that the Choctaw Indians called Hobucakintopa. In 1803 the Choctaw Trading House was established at Saint Stephens and the Choctaw Agency in 1805. The post was active in the deerskin trade, back when a “buck” was worth a dollar. Saint Stephens became the territorial capital in 1817.