The gold belt of Alabama covers an area 60 miles wide and 100 miles long. Alabama Gold has been mined from both placer and lode sources. The gold belt enters and trends the northeastern part of the state coming from the border with Georgia towards an area in central Alabama, known as the Piedmont Uplift, fairly extensive and is approximately 100 miles long by 50-60 miles wide.
But the foremost strike of gold occurred in 1830 along the tributaries of Blue and Chestnut Creeks in Chilton County. This discovery made Alabama one of the prolific gold-producing states east of the Mississippi River, with almost 80,000 ounces of gold from 1830 to 1990.
Alabama gold mines offer prospecting, panning and treasure hunting.
Stewart Mine is a past producer vein deposit site in the Appalachian Highlands of Alabama. It is a small deposit, not considered to be of world-class significance. Gold deposits are documented at Stewart Mine. Gold is present at a grade sufficient to have a strong effect on the economics of an excavation project. It may even be viable as the only commodity mined.
Significant amounts of gold have come from Alabama, making it one of the better gold producing states east of the Mississippi River. Gold has been found in both lode and placer deposits. Gold has been found throughout Talladega, Tallapoosa, Chambers, Coosa, Clay, Chilton, Elmore, Cleburne, and Randolph Counties.
Reports that all tributaries of Mulberry Creek contain gold. Mulberry Creek is a 45.4-mile-long waterway in central Alabama. It rises in Chilton County and farther downstream forms the boundary between Dallas County and Autauga County. It is a tributary of the Alabama River. Gold is present at a grade sufficient to have a strong effect on the economics of an excavation project.
Chulafinnee was a gold mining town about 12 miles south of Heflin, AL. During the boom years, it was about half the size of Arbacoochee, but had more brick buildings.
The mine filed was destroyed by one of the King brothers that were prospectors in the area.
The town was still listed on the state maps as late as 1878.