The camp was informally named after Major General John J. Coppinger, initial commanding officer of the 4th Corps. Some newspaper articles refer to the camp as “Camp Mobile” in the early days after it was established.
Camp Johnston was the muster in camp “near” Mobile for the 2nd Ala. Vol. Inf.
The camp was established after the war on September 3, 1898 and existed through January, 1899. The 2nd Infantry was there until mid-March, 1899. There were five regiments of state volunteers there throughout much of the winter.
Camp Clark: Spanish American War Camp Camp Clark was named after Brigadier General Louis L. Clark, Alabama National Guard.
Camp Hilary A. Herbert was at Riverside Park in the north part of the city. The camp was likely in the southeast part of the park. This was a very popular park around the turn of the century but no longer exists.