Metal Detecting Talladega County Alabama:
Fort Williams to Horseshoe Bend
In March 1814, General Andrew Jackson mobilized the Tennessee Militia, made up of Volunteers from the East and West Tennessee Militias and the Thirty-Ninth U.S. Infantry for a full-scale campaign against the Red Sticks. General Jackson’s army totaled about 3,000 men. Jackson’s army left Fort Williams on the Coosa River (Mississippi Territory) and marched 52 miles through the forest in three days. Fort Williams, located at the mouth of Cedar Creek and the Coosa River in what is now Talladega County, Alabama was constructed in 1814 to serve as a supply depot preparatory to the Battle of Horseshoe Bend on March 27, 1814. Jackson and his troops made camp six miles north of Horseshoe Bend.