The White Sulphur Well lies just outside the corporate limits of the town,
situated on the Southern Railway. This water is known far and wide for its
Clarke County is situated between the Alabama and Tombigbee rivers, extending from the cut-off on the south, north to the north boundary line of the south third of Township 12, a distance of about 65 miles. The county has an area of about 1,200 square miles, or 768,000 square acres, and has a population of between 31,000 and 32,000.
They are miners and shippers of
yellow ochre and china clays, also manufacturers of all clay commodities, such
as clap turpentine cups, hollow building blocks, brick, drain tile, flower pots,
jugs, churns and all other clay novelties.
In March, 1819, the United States granted to the state of Alabama in trust
for its people five sections of salt lands, two sections in Township 5 North,
Range 2 East, and three sections in Township 7 North, Range 1 East.
History of Clarke County by John Simpson Graham
It is the purpose of the author of this book to write a history devoted almost exclusively to Clarke County Alabama and its people.
Birmingham printing Company, 1923
In the year 1800 the white people began to settle in this county, and by
1813 there were quite a number of settlers along the west side of the county. In
1813 the Indians became very troublesome and the whites became alarmed and began
the erection of forts at various points in the county. According to Ball’s
history of Clarke County, they were located as follows:
For instance, they
discover that in Clarke County, some time in the centuries gone by, there was an
upheaval, ripping the county open from Section 21 (where it goes into the
Tombigbee River), Township 5 North, Range 2 East, to the same river in Township
8 North, Range 1 West.
According to history, there were several settlements in the county 383 years ago. There was a considerable town, called Maubila, located at either Croctaw Bluff or French’s Landing, four miles above Gainstown.