Located eight miles south and five miles west of Fort Easley, in the West Bend Community two miles east of the Tombigbee River near the residence of Abner Turner, or about 72 miles north of Mobile, Alabama. Three miles distant, on the Tombigbee River was the Choctaw reservation known as Turkey Town.
This fort was built of split pine logs doubled and contained two or three block-houses. The Turner, Thornton, Pace and other families used this fort for protection.
It was held by the citizens of the neighborhood, thirteen men and some boys forming the garrison that expected to protect the women and children. In this stockade were members of the Turner, Thornton, Pace, and other families, early settlers in what became the delightful West Bend neighborhood. Here for a time resided Tandy Walker, who is mentioned in the Gaines records, who was ‘a most experienced and daring backwoodsman;’ but in the summer of 1813 he was connected with the affairs at Fort Madison.
“The inmates of the two forts, Turner’s and Easley’s, held religious services in their fort life. At Fort Easley a camp-meeting was held, probably in August, which some from the other stockades attended. The ‘love feast’ on Sunday morning was held outside the fort, but guards were stationed to give warning if any attacking party of Indians appeared.