Fort Easley (Easley’s Fort)
This stockade was built in 1813 on a small plateau containing about three acres and located on Wood’s Bluff on the Tombigbee River in Clarke County. On the side next to the river the bluff is almost a perpendicular wall, there is a large spring of water flowing from it’s side. This steep plateau made the stockade a naturally strong position. The fort was evacuated after the Fort Mims massacre.
EASLEy’s Fort was on the Tombigbee river, in section eleven, township eleven, range one west, at what is now called Wood’s Bluff. The bluff was named after its former owner Major Wood, an officer in the battle of Burnt Corn. The fort was about one hundred yards above the bluff landing, on an elevated level tract of land, a small plateau, which contained about three acres. On the side next to the river the bluff is nearly perpendicular, “a bold spring of water flowing from its side,” and above and below the fort the descent is quite abrupt making the position naturally strong. The fort was named from an early resident, “an old and prominent citizen,” who had four sons, Warham, Samuel, Rhode, and Edward or Ned.
Credit:; Clarke County, Alabama, and its Surroundings by Timothy Horton Ball Grove Hill, AL, USA: n.p., 1882