Four miles south of Jackson, a fort was built in 1813 as defense against the Indians, and in 1812 Fort Cata was built near the present Coffeeville. Then there was Fort Curry and Fort Ensley, all built within this period in Clarke County. Redoubt Pass and Landrum’s Fort, Fort Lavier, and Fort Madison, Mott’s Fort and Fort Sin;quefield, Turner’s Fort, and Fort White were other defenses built at the time. However, Fort Gullett, 4 miles south of Jackson, was a Confederate fortification built on a pioneer fort for protection of the salt well and works nearby. The fort was erected to keep Federal gunboats from coming up the Tombigbee River (Fort Hawn is the same as Gullett’s Bluff).
Source: Congressional Record Appendix July 29, 1965