Map: La Louisiane

Map La Louisiane
Hand colored. Relief shown pictorially. From the author’s Grosser atlas … [1734?] Includes historical notes and inset of “Les costes de la Louisiane depuis la baye de Ascension jusques acelle de S. Joseph.” Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.

Map: The MOBILE & OHIO R.R. AND CONNECTIONS

One of the oldest cities in the United States, Mobile is the seat of Mobile County in the southwestern corner of Alabama along Interstate Highway 10, on the banks of the Mobile River.

As a port city, its influences were shaped by the varied cargoes and exotic travelers that constantly passed through.

Alabama Metal Detecting Clubs

Alabama Metal Detecting Clubs

Alabama Gold Camp
1398 Co. Rd. 5Lineville  AL  36266Phone:  1.256.396.0389gold@alabamagoldcamp.com
 
CENTRAL ALABAMA ARTIFACTS SOCIETY
Pratt, AlabamaPhone: 205-365-1115
South Alabama Historical Research & Recovery
“Dedicated to the preservation of historical artifacts”
City: Mobile Contact/Phone: (480) 201-1251 or email: Mike Smith
Meeting location: Golden Coral, 5327 Halls Mill Rd, Tillmans Corner, AL Meeting Time: First Tuesday of every month @ 7:00 pm
Southeast Treasure Hunters
Alabama Prospecting Supply789 Brentwood DriveGadsden, AL 35901mismar@att.netmlhudson1970@yahoo.com
Club meets every second and fourth Tuesday of the month. Meetings begin at 7 PM
Tri-State Coin & Relic Hunters Club
Warrior Basin Treasure Hunters Association
City: Birmingham Location: Nikki’s West Restaurant 233 Finley Avenue West Birmingham, AL. 35204Contact/Phone: email: webmaster@wbtha.comMembership: $15 with an annual renewal of $10Website: http://wbtha.com/Comments: The club meets the 1st and 3rd Tuesday nights of each month.

Historical Sites in Clarke County Alabama

Historical Sites in Clarke County Alabama
Alphabetical listing of historical sites in Clarke County Alabama. Return To Historical Sites in Alabama Index 
Alphabetical Listing
Place Name – Map ID – Remarks
Air Mount PO 11-NE in operation 1838-1866, 1886-1889 (Smith)
Alameda 23-NE established 1888, Talcott PO 1892-1897, Alameda PO open 1897-1922 (Smith) (Heritage13)
Alexander Landing 86-SW found on a map dating from 1887
Allen SE named for the early settler Allen Coleman, PO open 1900-1986 (Harris) (Smith)
Alma SE named for the school teacher Alma Flinn, PO open 1890-1985 (Foscue) (Smith)
Amity 153-NE community associated with an area Baptist Church established around 1870
Asbury 43-NE Asbury Church and cemetery are all that remain here
Atkeison NE PO in operation 1889-1923, also appears on maps spelled Atkinson (Smith)
Atkeison Station 10-NE spelled Atkinson Station on the 1912 edition of the soil survey map
Baggett 99-NE also known as Baggetts Store, PO in operation 1883-1890 (Smith)
Baileys Landing 144-NW found on the 1972 edition of the USGS 7.5 minute quadrangle
Barlow Bend SE named for the plantation owner Thaddeus Barlow, PO 1877-1976 (Foscue) (Smith)
Bashi NW named for Bashi Creek, PO in operation 1849-1866, 1875-1962 (Harris) (Smith)
Batchelors Landing 84-SW found on a United States Army Corps of Engineers map of 1978
Beckhams Landing 48-SW found on a United States Army Corps of Engineers map of 1941
Bedsole 100-NW PO in operation 1883-1891 (Smith)
Bedsoles Store 167-NW found on a map dating from 1879
Behrman 24-NE variant for Fulton, PO in operation 1889-1896 (Harris) (Smith)
Berris Landing 85-SW found on a United States Army Corps of Engineers map of 1941
Bethel 132-NW community associated with Baptist Church and Cemetery
Betts Lower Landing 92-SW found on current the U.S.G.S. 7.5 minute quadrangle
Bolentown 49-SW named for the Bolen Lumber Company, circa 1890 (Heritage13)
Brewers Store 61-SE found on a map dating from 1912
Buena Vista Landing 32-NW found on a map dating from 1912
Cades Landing 122-NW found on a map dating from 1837
Campbell NW first known as Millersville, PO established in 1886, named after a local doctor (Harris)
Campbell Landing 146-NW found on a map dating from 1912
Campbells Mill 62-SE found on a map dating from 1856
Cane Creek 116-NE variant for Chance 1880-1892 (Foscue)
Carlstons Saw Mill 8-NE found on a map dating from 1856
Carlton SW the original PO was called Hal’s Lake, Carlton PO open 1902-1966 (Foscue) (Smith)
Carney Bluff 154-SW PO in operation 1878-1882, 1886-1887 (Smith)
Carney Landing 95-SW found on a map dating from 1837, also known as Fort Curney
Carters Landing 75-SE found on a map dating from 1912
Castle Plantation 151-SE also known as Gilmore, Cedar Creek and Forbes Plantation
Cedar Creek Landing 64-SE found on a map dating from 1912
Cedar Creek Plantation 151-SE also known as Gilmore, Castle and Forbes Plantation
Cedar Forks 58-SE community around a church found on maps dating from 1937-1998
Center Point NW community around a church found on a map dating from 1971
Central Salt Works 106-SW also known as Salt Mountain
Chance NE called Cane Creek from 1880-1892, PO in operation 1892-1986 (Foscue) (Smith)
Cherry 98-SE PO in operation 1880-1887 (Smith)
Chilton NW also known as Mitcham, PO in operation 1898-1917 (Smith)
Choctaw 9-NE variant for Thomasville
Choctaw Bluff 96-SE founded in 1789, PO in operation 1868-1871, 1878-1883, 1897-1958 (Foscue) (Smith)
Choctaw Corner 7-NE PO open 1849-1907, declined after being bypassed by the railroad (Smith) (Graham)
Christmas Landing 143-NW found on a map dating from 1912
Clantons Landing 28-NW found on the United States Army Corps of Engineers map of 1903
Clarkes Store 166-NW found on a map dating from 1879
Clarksville NW county seat 1820-1831, PO in operation 1821-1854, 1894-1915 (Harris2) (Smith)
Cobbville 45-NE PO in operation 1893-1911, name changed to Lyford PO in 1911 (Smith)
Coffeeville NW settled 1808, PO established in 1817, named for General John Coffee (Foscue) (Smith)
Conde 103-SE PO in operation 1886-1907 (Smith)
Cowans Gin 149-NW found on the United States Army Corps of Engineers map of 1978
Coxes Woodyard Landing 20-NW currently known as Nichols Landing
Clarke 69
Current or Historic Place Locale Remarks
Dallas Landing 126-SW
Damon 26-NE PO in operation 1899-1920 (Smith)
Davis Bluff PO 155-NW in operation 1890-1895 (Smith)
Dead Level PO 94-NW in operation 1856-1866, 1873-1894 (Smith)
Dewitts Landing 50-SE found on a United States Army Corps of Engineers map dating from 1941
Dickenson Station 136-NE variant for Dickinson
Dickinson NE Dickinson PO open 1888-1987, also known as Marianna and Gayle (Foscue) (Smith) (Heritage13)
Dubose Landing 51-SW found on a United States Army Corps of Engineers map dating from 1941
East Bassetts Landing 66-SW found on a United States Army Corps of Engineers map dating from 1941
East Maher Landing 91-SW found on a United States Army Corps of Engineers map dating from 1941
Emmons Gin 117-SE found on a map dating from 1879
Eustis PO 120-NE served the Pleasant Grove community, in operation 1889-1908 (Clarke CHS) (Smith)
Failetown NW PO in operation 1918-1936 (Smith)
Fakit Chipunta 16-NW also known as Turkey Town, one of the last Choctaw towns east of the Tombigee (AHC2)
Finley Crossing NE appears as Finley Crossroads on a 1937 map and Finley Crossing on a 1991 map
Flynn Gin Landing 135-SE found on the 1972 edition of the USGS 7.5 minute quadrangle
Forbes Plantation 151-SE also known as Gilmore, Castle and Cedar Creek Plantation
Forestdale 123-NW PO in operation 1905-1934 (Smith)
Fort Curney 95-SW also known as Corney and Carney Landing, at the home of Joshiah Corney (AHC2)
Fort Easley 113-NW built in 1813 to provide defense against the Indians (Harris2)
Fort Glass 172-SE built during the Creek War of 1813 to 1814
Fort Guilett 111-SW built in 1862 to guard a nearby saltworks (Harris2)
Fort Lavier 114-SE built in 1813 to provide defense against the Indians (Harris2)
Fort Madison 59-SE built by settlers in 1813 and commanded by Sam Dale (AHC2) (Harris2)
Fort Sinquefield 108-NE built to protect the settlers from the Indians, circa 1813 (Graham)
Fort Stonewall 103-SE Confederate earthworks on Choctaw Bluff destroyed in 1865 (AHC2)
Fort White 40-NE variant for Grove Hill circa 1813-1814, a log stockade (AHC2) (Foscue)
Frenchs Landing 78-SE found on a map dating from 1837, later known as Smith Landing
Fulton NE first called Wades Station, then Behrman, Fulton PO established in 1896 (Foscue)
Gainestown SE PO established in 1848, named for Indian agents George Gaines & General E.P. Gaines (Foscue)
Gainestown Ferry 76-SE found on a map dating from 1912
Gasport PO 63-SE variant for Gosport
Gayle 136-NE variant for Dickinson
Gilmore Plantation 151-SE also known as Castle, Cedar Creek and Forbes Plantation
Glass Redoubt 110-SE built by Zachariah Glass in 1813 (Harris2), also known as Fort Glass
Glendon 55-SE PO in operation 1894-1902, 1912-1922 (Smith)
Glover NW named for local family in the early 1800’s, PO open 1885-1946 (Clarke CHS) (Smith)
Good Hope 138-NE variant for Peacock
Good Springs 38-SW variant for Winn
Gosport SE PO open 1834-1857, 1869-1969, founded by Colonel Samuel Forwood (Harris) (Smith)
Gosport Landing 131-SE appears on maps until 1887
Greenwood NE first appears on the 1971 edition of the county highway map
Grove Hill NE PO established in 1828, became the county seat in 1831, incorporated in 1929 (Foscue)
H.G. Davis Landing 127-SE
Hals Lake 115-SW variant for Carlton, Hals Lake PO in operation 1892-1900 (Smith))
Harry Davis Landing 93-SW found on a United States Army Corps of Engineers map dating from 1943
Harwells Landing 68-SW found on a United States Army Corps of Engineers map dating from 1903
Herons Landing 83-SE found on a map dating from 1912
Hickory Hall 60-SE found on maps dating from the early 1890’s
High Bluff 79-SE found on a map dating from 1856
Holtamville NW PO in operation 1925-1954 (Clarke CHS)
Horeb 42-SE variant for Whatley, Horeb PO in operation 1887-1890 (Smith)
Horrace Williams Landing 29-NW found on a United States Army Corps of Engineers map dating from 1903
J.B. Malones Landing 31-NW found on a United States Army Corps of Engineers map dating from 1903
J.W. Thornton Landing 12-NW found on a United States Army Corps of Engineers map dating from 1903
70 Clarke
Current or Historic Place Locale Remarks
Jackson SW Republicville in 1813, then Pine Level in 1816, PO established 1818, incorporated in 1887 (Foscue)
Jackson Landing 142-SW also known as Princes Landing in 1886
Jackson Springs 139-SW found on a map dating from 1912
Jackson Station 141-SW found on a map dating from 1905
James Landing 170-SE found on a map dating from 1837
James Landing 82-SE found on a map dating from 1868
Joe Davis Landing 128-SW
Johnsons Landing 87-SW
Keiths Gin Landing 73-SW
Kirven 57-SE PO in operation 1925-1929 (Smith)
Landrums Fort 37-NW built by settlers in 1813 (Harris2)
Lees Store 65-SE found on a map dating from 1912
Log Landing 3-NW found on a United States Army Corps of Engineers map dating from 1978
Lombard Landing 77-SE found on a United States Army Corps of Engineers map dating from 1943
Lowder Springs 6-NW variant for Tallahatta Springs, named for George Lowder (Clarke CHS)
Lower Madison Landing 129-SE
Lower Salt Works 107-SW
Lyford 45-NE formerly Cobbville PO, Lyford PO in operation 1911-1914 (Smith)
Macon 40-NE variant for Grove Hill, name changed from Macon to Grove Hill in 1832 (Harris)
Madison Landing 27-SW found on the 1975 edition of the USGS 7.5 minute quadrangle
Magoffins Store 40-NE named for James Magoffin circa 1815, later known as Grove Hill (Harris)
Manila SE PO established in 1898 and discontinued in 1968 (Smith)
Marianna 136-NE variant for Dickinson
Marshall Ferry Landing 80-SE found on a United States Army Corps of Engineers map dating from 1943
Masons Landing 71-SW found on a map dating from 1916
Masons Lower Landing 74-SW
Mathews 152-SW former site of Mathews Chapel and Mathews School
Mathewson Landing 89-SE found on map dating from 1837, currently known as Upper Madison Landing
Mathewson Sawmill 88-SE found on a map dating from1837
Mays Crossroads SW found as simply Crossroads on a map dating from 1908
Mays Woodyard Landing 14-NW found on a United States Army Corps of Engineers map dating from 1903
McDuffys Gin 116-NE variant for Chance
McEntyre NW also called New Prospect, McEntyre PO in operation 1890-1908 (USPO) (Smith)
McGrews Fort 112-SW built by William and John McGrew in 1813 (Harris2)
Mclver PO 124-NE in operation 1898-1903, 1906-1910 (Smith)
McVay SW PO in operation 1910-1930 (Smith)
Mechanics Grove 161-NE PO in operation 1829-1842 (Smith)
Midway SE community around a church found on a map dating from 1912
Milers Gin Landing 70-SW found on a United States Army Corps of Engineers map dating from 1903
Millersville 5-NW variant for Campbell
Mitcham 21-NW variant for Chilton
Mitchells Woodyard Landing 150-NW appears on a map dated 1837
Moores Landing 90-SE found on a 1943 Corps of Engineers map, appears as Tate Landing on a map from 1856
Morvin NW PO open 1851-1866, 1875-1989, the name means ‘old red hill’ (Harris) (Smith)
Motts PO 160-NE in operation 1830-1849 (Smith)
Moures Landing 67-SW found on a United States Army Corps of Engineers map dating from 1903
Murphy PO 137-SE in operation 1890-1895 (Smith)
Murrells Landing 19-NW variant for Coffeeville, circa 1808 (Clarke CHS)
Nealton 101-SW PO in operation 1888-1909 (Smith)
Nettleboro NE PO established 1876 and closed in 1954 (Smith)
New Prospect 119-NW variant for McEntyre
Nichola 56-SE PO in operation 1890-1910 (Smith)
Nichols Landing 20-NW formerly Coxes Woodyard Landing
Nobles Gin Landing 2-NW found on a United States Army Corps of Engineers map dating from 1903
Nunnelee 162-SE PO in operation 1882-1884 (Smith)
Olive Ferry 81-SE
Clarke 71
Current or Historic Place Locale Remarks
Opine NW PO in operation 1898-1902, 1904-1926, 1928-1945 (Smith)
Osage Woodyard Landing 133-NW found on the 1975 edition of the USGS 7.5 minute quadrangle
Oven Bluff 163-SW now a fish camp that can be found on current maps
Paynes 72-SW found on a map dating from 1912
Peacock NE PO in operation 1900-1948 (Clarke CHS)
Perry Chapel SE appears on a map dating from 1912
Phil Mays Landing 69-SW found on a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers map dating from 1903
Pickens Landing 1-NW PO in operation 1878-1890 (Smith)
Pine Level 54-SW variant for Jackson circa1816 (Foscue)
Pine Tree Landing 30-NW also known as Singletons Landing
Pleasant Grove 36-NW also called Tatillaba (Clarke CHS)
Pleasant Hill 120-NE the area PO was called Eustis (Clarke CHS)
Pouncey 44-NE found on maps dating from 1891 to 1950
Presnall Landing 46-NE found on a United States Army Corps of Engineers map dating from 1943
Princes Landing 142-SW also known as Jackson Landing
Pugh 39-NW PO in operation 1909-1912 (Smith)
Republicville 54-SW variant for Jackson circa 1813 (Foscue)
Rice PO 156-SW in operation 1899-1900 (Smith)
River Hill 35-SW variant for Salitpa before 1855 (Foscue)
Roang Landing 130-SE
Rock Bar 4-NW variant for Cunningham before 1885 (Clarke CHS)
Rock Springs 122-NW variant for Cades Landing, found on the 1972 edition of the USGS 7.5 minute quadrangle
Rockcastle 104-SE found on a map dating from 1894
Rockville SW named for Rockville Academy circa 1830-1938, PO in operation 1900-1940 (Foscue)
Rosenburg PO 157-NW in operation 1898-1899 (Smith)
Roundhill NE appears on a map dating from 1937
Rural NE PO established 1874, discontinued 1891, then reopened from 1903-1941 (Smith)
Salitpa SW first known as River Hill, PO established in 1880 (Foscue)
Salt Mountain 106-SW also known as Central Salt Works
Sand Flat 22-NE variant for Springfield
Scruggs Landing 125-NW found on the 1971 edition of the USGS 7.5 minute quadrangle
Scyrene NE PO established in 1901 and discontinued 1954 (Smith)
Sellers Landing 134-NW found on the 1971 edition of the USGS 7.5 minute quadrangle
Shady Grove 118-SE community around a church dating to the 1850’s
Shields Ferry 169-SW found on a map dating from 1837
Shultys Landing 147-NW found on the 1972 edition of the USGS 7.5 minute quadrangle
Singleton PO 97-SE in operation 1880-1904 (Smith)
Singletons Landing 30-NW found on a map dating from 1912
Smith Landing 78-SE appears as Frenchs Landing on a map dating from 1837
Smithville 40-NE variant for Grove Hill in the 1820’s (Harris)
Smyer NW PO established 1919 and discontinued 1942 (Smith)
Springfield NE appears on a map dating from 1937
St. David PO 158-NW in operation 1901-1903 (Smith)
St. Paul 145-SW community around a church and school
St. Paul PO 25-NE variant for Scyrene, in operation 1849-1866 (Smith)
Starks Landing 34-SW found on a map dating from 1837, also known as Watts Landing
Stave Creek 140-SW community around Baptist Church founded in 1859
Suggsville SE PO operational 1818-1959, 1814 William Suggs opened a store here (Foscue) (Smith)
Suggsville Station 102-SE variant for Allen, found on a map dating from 1905
Talcott PO 23-NE Talcott PO open 1892-1897, then Alameda PO 1897-1922 (Smith) (Heritage13)
Tallahatta Springs NW first called Lowder Springs, renamed in 1840’s, PO open 1876-1948 (Harris) (Smith)
Tate Landing 90-SE found on a map dating from 1856, later known as Moores Landing
Tatillaba 36-NW PO in operation 1888-1914, also known as Pleasant Grove (Clarke CHS)
Tattlersville NW first appears on the 1971 edition of the county highway map
Thomasville NE PO est.

HISTORICAL SITES IN ALABAMA

In order to better provide precise information for our diverse readership, we would like to point out that we differentiate between the words “historic” and “historical.” We use “historic” in the context of describing famous or important places and events.  “Historical” is used  when describing places or events of the past that have no great significance today but may be of interest to some.

Bibb-County-Alabama

Historic Places and Ghost Towns in Bibb County Alabama

Bibb County was established in 1818 and called by the name of Cahaba. Two years later it was changed to that of Bibb, in honor of William W. Bibb, the first Governor of the State.

Bibb County was one of the largest counties in the State; but a great deal of its area has been cut off to make up the surrounding counties established later on in the history of the State.

Fort Williams to Horseshoe Bend

Metal Detecting Talladega County Alabama:

Fort Williams to Horseshoe Bend

 
In March 1814, General Andrew Jackson mobilized the Tennessee Militia, made up of Volunteers from the East and West Tennessee Militias and the Thirty-Ninth U.S. Infantry for a full-scale campaign against the Red Sticks. General Jackson’s army totaled about 3,000 men. Jackson’s army left Fort Williams on the Coosa River (Mississippi Territory) and marched 52 miles through the forest in three days. Fort Williams, located at the mouth of Cedar Creek and the Coosa River in what is now Talladega County, Alabama was constructed in 1814 to serve as a supply depot preparatory to the Battle of Horseshoe Bend on March 27, 1814. Jackson and his troops made camp six miles north of Horseshoe Bend.

White Bluff

Chalk, a soft, extremely fine-textured variety of limestone, occurs in the Coastal Plain section of west-central Alabama. Originally formed as the floor of an ancient sea, the chalk can be seen along prominent bluffs on the Tombigbee River. White Bluff is a historic site located in Demopolis, AL, which owes its character and natural beauty to the underlying chalk rocks.

Men Panning Gold Created / Published [between ca. 1900 and 1927]

GOLD IN ALABAMA

TABLE OF CONTENTS to a handpicked collection of content gathered from a variety of sources concerning gold in Alabama.
Each article published includes valuable additional information verified by our in-house research team. Stay in the game. Find the gold. Follow this series and join us on Facebook.

Bear Meat Cabin

His plow struck something rather hard and upon examining it he found a box, and on opening it could scarcely believe his own eyes as he gazed upon over $1,800 in gold and silver coins. There was $1,200 in gold and $600 in silver.

Alabama-Treasure-Legends

ALABAMA TREASURE LEGENDS

Some sites listed here may have prohibitions against prospecting. Always seek permission from property owners and obtain any necessary permits prior to treasure hunting, panning, dredging, or metal detecting.