|Aigleville AL |
Aigleville, literally translated as Eagle Town, was a town on the Black Warrior River in Marengo County, Alabama. The settlement was established in late 1818 by former French Bonapartists and refugees from Saint-Domingue, as a part of their Vine and Olive Colony.
Each settler at Aigleville owned three separate land lots. These included the town lot, a garden lot (called a small allotment), and a farm (called a large allotment). With the failure of the colony at large, Aigleville was a largely abandoned by the late 1830s. Despite this, General Lefèbvre-Desnoëttes' house was noted as still standing during a governmental resurvey of the area in 1842. The site was heavily forested by the early 20th century. This gave way to open land with industrial usage during the later half of the 20th and into the 21st century, under its ownership by a local cement plant.
Wikipedia contributors, "Aigleville (Alabama)," Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Aigleville_(Alabama)&oldid=636968409 (accessed January 16, 2015).
|Aigleville AL |
Aigleville, literally translated as Eagle Town, was a town on the Black Warrior River in Marengo County, Alabama. The settlement was established in late 1818 by former French Bonapartists and refugees from Saint-Domingue, as a part of their Vine and Olive Colony. It was named in honor of the French Imperial Eagle, the standard used by the Grande Armée of Napoleon I.
This Greek Revival mansion was designated a NHL because it is considered one of the most unusual examples of that architectural style in the United States. It was built over the course of eighteen years by amateur architect and planter Nathan Bryan Whitfield. It is one of the few Greek Revival homes that features the Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian orders of architecture.
|Jefferson, Alabama |
Jefferson was founded in 1810, before Marengo was a county or Alabama was a state. Most of the original settlers were veterans of the American Revolution, including John Sample, John Gilmore, and Reuben Hildreth. The village was named Jefferson in 1820, after Thomas Jefferson, and that year saw the first church established. The population had reached 200 people by 1860 and the village contained two dry goods stores, one drugstore, a male and a female academy, a Masonic Lodge, a hotel, two tanneries, a wagon shop, and a blacksmith shop.
|Linden AL |
Linden is a city in and the county seat of Marengo County, Alabama, United States. The population was 2,123 at the 2010 census.
Settled prior to 1818, the community was first known as Screamersville, due to the cry of wild animals that could be heard during the night. It became the county seat in 1819 and was then known as the Town of Marengo. This was changed to Hohenlinden in 1823 to honor the county's earliest European settlers, French Bonapartist refugees to the Vine and Olive Colony. The name of Hohenlinden was chosen to commemorate Napoleon Bonaparte's battle in 1800 at Hohenlinden, Germany, in which the French were victorious over the Austrians and Bavarians. The spelling was later simplified to Linden.
Linden, AL, United States