The Oakleigh Garden Historic District is a historic district in Mobile, Alabama.
Visiting Forrest Gump
Bayou La Batre Alabama
Bayou La Batre is mesmerizing. As soon as you arrive at the first traffic light (one of two) at Highway 188 and Padgett Switch Road, it’s not hard to let yourself reminisce about days and places long gone. Speed limit signs in Bayou La Batre need to be replaced with big red caution signs: “Caution. Wonder & Astonishment Ahead!” Turn left.
Mobile Alabama began as the first capital of colonial French Louisiana in 1702. During its first 100 years, Mobile was a colony of France, then Britain, and lastly Spain. Mobile first became a part of the United States of America in 1813, with the annexation of West Florida under President James Madison. In 1861, Alabama joined the Confederate States of America, which surrendered in 1865.
Obituary Notice for Thomas L. Harrison
At Mobile, Thomas L. Harrison, the hero on the confederate side in the Battle of Mobile Bay, died Friday night, aged fifty-one years. He graduated from Annapolis, and at the age of twenty years, he entered the confederate naval service. He was ordered to Mobile in 1862 and appointed executive office for the gunboat Morgan.
In the battle in the spring of 1865, when Farragut forced an entrance into Mobile Bay, the little vessel was soon driven under the shelter of the guns of Fort Morgan, the ram
Tennessee and the gunboat Selma having been captured and the gunboat Gaines burned.
The captain of the Morgan gave orders to abandon the ship and set her on fire. Lieutenant Harrison, however, reminding the crew that this was the only free vessel in the bay and would be of incalculable value to the confederacy if saved, asked the men to volunteer to run the boat up to Mobile. Every man stepped to the starboard. Thereupon Harrison requested the captain to step below.
Give A Little Credit Where Credit Is Due
David Wayne Trippe
Up and coming Singer/Songwriter David Wayne Trippe has been involved in Live Performance since 1976. Over the years, he has worked with companies such as Tate Publishing, Giant Records and Integrity Music. He has recorded with David Huff (David and the Giants) and Steve Grisham (The Outlaws) and has shared the stage with Whitecross, New Song, Russ Taff, David and the Giants, Phil Driscol, Lulu, Rusty Goodman and other legends of Gospel and Inspirational Music. He has written or co-written several Christian Songs that have received Radio airplay with success. He began to try his hand at writing Country Songs in 2003, in which several were forwarded to Established Artist.
When bishop Michael Portier became the First Bishop of Mobile in 1829, he set out to build a Cathedral befitting the name.
Battleship Memorial Park
Battleship Memorial Park is a military history park and museum located on the western shore of Mobile Bay in Mobile, Alabama. It has a collection of notable aircraft and museum ships including the South Dakota-class battleship USS Alabama and Gato-class submarine USS Drum. The USS Alabama and USS Drum are both National Historic Landmarks; the park as a whole was listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage prior to that time, on October 28, 1977.
In May 1962, the USS Alabama (BB-60) had been ordered scrapped along with her South Dakota-class sister ships,USS South Dakota, USS Indiana, and USS Massachusetts. Citizens of the state of Alabama had formed the “USSAlabama Battleship Commission” to raise funds for the preservation of Alabama as a memorial to the men and women who served in World War II. Alabama’s school children raised approximately $100,000 in nickels and dimes from lunch money and allowances to help the cause. The ship was awarded to the state on June 16, 1964, and was formally turned over on July 7, 1964 in ceremonies at Seattle, Washington. Alabama was then towed to her permanent berth at Mobile, Alabama, arriving in Mobile Bay on September 14, 1964 and opening as a museum ship on January 9, 1965. Alabama was joined in 1969 by the submarine USS Drum which was moored behind her until 2001, when the submarine was moved onto land for preservation in a permanent display.