Jackson County Alabama
Jackson County Alabama is a county in the Northeast corner of Alabama. The population is 53,227 and the county seat is Scottsboro, Alabama.
Jackson County was named for Andrew Jackson, general in the United States Army and afterward President of the United States of America.
Jackson County Alabama Cities:
Scottsboro is a city in Jackson County. As of the 2010 census, the population of the city is 14,770. Named for its founder Robert T. Scott, the city is the county seat of Jackson County.
Stevenson City Hall is located on 104 Kentucky Avenue. Stop by City Hall for any information you may need about our Park, Depot, Library, Fort Harker, or anything else you may need to know.
Jackson County Alabama Towns:
Dutton is a town in Jackson County. It was incorporated in 1963. As of the 2010 census, the population of the town was 315, up from 310 in 2000. Dutton is located atop Sand Mountain.
Hollywood is a town in Jackson County. As of the 2010 census, the population of the town was 1,000, up from 950 in 2000. Hollywood is considered a suburb of Scottsboro, the county seat. The town is the site of the Tennessee Valley Authority’s never-completed Bellefonte Nuclear Generating Station.
Hytop is a town in Jackson County. It incorporated on May 17, 1991. As of the 2010 census, the population of the town was 354, up from 315 in 2000. The Walls of Jericho, a popular hiking area, is located just north of Hytop.
Langston is a town in Jackson County. As of the 2010 census, the population of the town was 270, up from 254. Langston initially incorporated in 1899.
Paint Rock, Alabama
Paint Rock is a town in Jackson County, along the Paint Rock River. It was incorporated in July 1894. As of the 2010 census, the population of the town was 210, up from 185 in 2000
Pisgah is a town in Jackson County, Alabama. Pisgah was first settled in the late 1830s. The first white settlers began to move to the Pisgah area after Indian Removal in 1836, mainly during the 1840s-1850s. A post office was established in 1878, and the community was named for Mount Pisgah, the mountain in the Bible from which Moses viewed the Promised Land. It is included in the Huntsville-Decatur Combined Statistical Area. It incorporated in 1947. As of the 2010 census, the population of the town was 722, up from 706 in 2000. Pisgah is located atop Sand Mountain.
The town is situated on a narrow ridge that extends outward from the Cumberland Plateau in western Jackson County. Woodville lies at the base of the plateau to the southwest, Skyline lies along the plateau to the northeast, and the Paint Rock River flows through the valley to the northwest. County Road 8 is the primary traffic artery in Pleasant Groves.
Section is located on land where the Cherokee once hunted and lived. The community was originally known as Mt. Zion when the first post office was established. There were communities such as Kirby’s Creek, Gossets Hollow, and Fern Cliff. These communities came together to form the Town of Section. Pioneer settlers came in 1862 to Section, in large numbers. Settlers were required to live on the land for five years before claiming the property as their own. It became known later as “Section” because it was the location of a square-mile parcel of land, known as the 16th Section, required by the federal government to be set aside in support of public schools.
As of the 2010 census, the population of the town was 770, an increase of one person from 2000. Section is located on top of Sand Mountain.
Skyline began in 1934 as a cooperative farming experiment known as “Cumberland Farms” under President Franklin Roosevelt’s Federal Emergency Relief Administration. This was one of 43 such projects attempted nationally in depressed areas. It was soon renamed “Skyline Farms” to avoid confusion with another project in neighboring Tennessee. The experiment lasted for a decade before being sold off to private buyers in 1944.
The current town of Skyline is located about a mile north of the original farming colony.
Woodville was settled about 1815 by Henry Derrick and is the oldest town in Jackson County. It was named for early residents Richard and Annie Wood. Woodville became the seat of Decatur County, Alabama in December 1821, but was attached to Jackson County when Decatur County was abolished the following year. The surrounding area was the site of considerable guerrilla warfare during the American Civil War.
Jackson County Alabama Communities:
Bass is an unincorporated community in northern Jackson County located approximately six miles northwest of Stevenson.
Bolivar, also known as Widows, is an unincorporated community in northern Jackson County. It is located on Alabama State Route 277, halfway between Bridgeport and Stevenson. It was originally called New Bolivar after many of the citizens of the old community of Bolivar, which was located near the current community of Edgefield near Stevenson, relocated to the railroad well after it was completed through the area in 1854. The old community faded away and New Bolivar never really grew. On original maps from the 1880s, New Bolivar was located where the former North Jackson Hospital stands on Alabama Highway 277.
Source: Wikipedia contributors, “Bolivar, Alabama,” Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia
Bryant is an unincorporated community in Jackson County, Alabama, United States. At the 2000 census the population was 3,295.
Things to do in Bryant Alabama
Flat Rock, Alabama
Gorhams’s Bluff, Alabama
Gorham’s Bluff is an unincorporated community, approximately three miles north of Pisgah at the top of Sand Mountain. It overlooks the Tennessee River valley. Currently, Gorham’s Bluff is not a recognized town, but part of the Pisgah area. Gorham’s Bluff has a six-suite lodge and nine cottages. Since 1997, in collaboration with the Gorham Bluff’s Institute, it has served as a venue for the Alabama Ballet in their pre-season.
Higdon is an unincorporated community in Jackson County.A post office called Higdon has been in operation since 1882. The community bears the name of its first postmaster.
Hollytree is an unincorporated community in Jackson County. It is located on Alabama State Route 65, 9.7 miles northeast of Gurley in the Paint Rock Valley. Hollytree has a post office with ZIP code 35751.
Larkin is an unincorporated community in northern Jackson County. It is located on Alabama State Route 65, 12.4 miles northwest of Skyline.
Liberty Hill, Alabama
Liberty Hill is an unincorporated community in Jackson County. Liberty Hill is located on County Route 14, 7.6 miles east-southeast of Stevenson.
Lim Rock, also known as Limrock, Lime Rock, Boyds Switch, or Boyd Switch, is an unincorporated community in southern Jackson County. It is located on Alabama State Route 35 halfway between Scottsboro and Woodville.
Long Island, Alabama
Long Island, also called Carpenter, Carpenter Station, and Carpenters Station, is an unincorporated community in the northeastern corner of Jackson County. It was reportedly named Carpenter for a family that lived there prior to 1852, when it was given the English form of the original Cherokee name of the village on the long island in the Tennessee River dating from 1783.
Princeton is an unincorporated community in Jackson County, Alabama, United States. Princeton is located on Alabama State Route 65 in the upper Paint Rock Valley. Skyline lies just over 7 miles miles to the east atop the Cumberland Plateau, and the Alabama-Tennessee state line passes several miles to the north. Wikipedia
Rash, also known as Coffeys Store, is an unincorporated community in Jackson County.
Rosalie is an unincorporated community in Jackson County.
Swaim is an unincorporated community in northern Jackson County. It is located at the intersection of state routes 65 and 146, 5.7 miles (9.2 km) northwest of Skyline.
Trenton is an unincorporated community in Jackson County. It is located on Alabama State Route 65, 7.7 miles east-northeast of Gurley in the Paint Rock Valley.
Jackson County Alabama Weblinks
Jackson County Alabama Sites Of Interest