Bellefonte Alabama, an Alabama Ghost Town
Bellefonte Alabama History
Bellefonte was settled in the early 19th century and incorporated on December 15, 1821, when it had nearly 200 residents. Its name was a subjective description consisting of the French words “belle”, meaning “beautiful,” and “fonte”, meaning “fount.” It was the Jackson County seat from 1821 to 1859. During the following decade, a post office, courthouse, and church were constructed. A post office was established in 1830. By 1844, the population had grown to 400. The town suffered severe damage by Union forces during the Civil War. The post office was closed in 1859, and the entire town was abandoned by the 1920s. All that remains of Bellefonte today are the cemetery, the chimney of the local inn, and piles of scattered bricks.
Wikipedia contributors, “Bellefonte, Alabama,” Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bellefonte,_Alabama&oldid=619606510 (accessed December 25, 2014).