Failetown, Alabama

Failetown is a ghost town in Clarke County. Today Failetown sits abandoned. The Faile Cemetery, Post Office, and other homes in various states of decay are all that remain of the town today.

Alston-Cobb House in Grove Hill, Clarke County, Alabama

Alston-Cobb House

Grove Hill was the site of one of the worst massacres of the Creek War of 1813-14. According to Christopher Maloney on the Encyclopedia of Alabama, it was the only fort attacked during the conflict.

The Dog Charge At Fort Sinquifield

Fort Sinquefield

Fort Sinquefield is the historic site of a wooden stockade fortification in Clarke County, Alabama, near the modern town of Grove Hill. It was built by early Clarke County pioneers as protection during the Creek War and was attacked in 1813 by Creek warriors. A marker was erected at the site by Clarke County school children in 1931 and it was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 31, 1974. At the time of the Creek War, originally a civil war within the Creek nation, Clarke was a newly formed county in the Mississippi Territory. The Creek were divided between traditionalists in the Upper Towns and those who had adopted more European-American customs in the Lower Towns.

Chief Pathkiller, was a Cherokee warrior, town chief, and Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation. He also served as a colonel under Andrew Jackson in the Tennessee militia during the Creek War.

Turkeytown

Turkeytown Alabama
Turkeytown, also called Turkey’s Town, was a Native American settlement found in 1788 by the Chickamauga Cherokee chief, Little Turkey. It was the largest Cherokee town in Alabama – at one time it covered 25 miles along both banks of the Coosa River. Little Turkey built the settlement as a refuge for his people because of the ongoing hostilities between the Cherokee Indians and the whites. Turkeytown Alabama History
During the Creek War of 1813, specifically in October, the Red Stick Indians were planning an attack on Turkey Town, The Cherokee Chief at that time, Pathkiller, sent word to Andrew Jackson for help. Jackson sent a detachment let by General James White.

Cullman Alabama

Cullman Alabama
Cullman is a city in Cullman County. Cullman is located along Interstate 65, about 50 miles north of Birmingham and about 55 miles south of Huntsville. Cullman was founded by Col. Johann Gottfried Cullmann, a German refugee who came to America in 1866. While working at a bookstore in Cincinnati, Ohio, he began formulating ideas of a special colony of working people – specifically a place for immigrants from countries such as his native Germany.