Evergreen Alabama

More
Evergreen Alabama

Evergreen Alabama

Evergreen Alabama

Location of Evergreen in Conecuh County Alabama

Location of Evergreen in Conecuh County Alabama

Evergreen Alabama, known as the “Emerald City,” is located in southwestern Alabama. The city motto is “Evergreen Decorates America.”

As of the 2010 census the population was 3,944. Early settlers to the area came from Georgia and South Carolina beginning in 1818. Evergreen was founded officially in 1819 when Revolutionary War veteran James Cosey and several other men settled within the present limits of the city. The Reverend Alexander Travis first called the town by its present name of Evergreen for the abundance of surrounding green foliage, plants, and ferns.

The former county seat of Sparta was burned in a federal raid during the Civil War. In 1866, the county seat was moved to Evergreen as it was more centrally located in the county. Evergreen was incorporated as a city on March 28, 1873.

 

Evergreen Alabama History

Early settlers to the area came from Georgia and South Carolina beginning in 1818. Richard Shipp was one of the first settlers to arrive from Georgia in 1818 and at one time owned most of the land on which Evergreen is located today. Other early settlers also came from Georgia and South Carolina. Also in 1818, Malachi Warren established the first general store in the area. Evergreen was founded officially in 1819 when Revolutionary War veteran James Cosey and several other men settled within the present limits of the city. The Reverend Alexander Travis first called the town by its present name of Evergreen for the abundance of surrounding green foliage, plants, and ferns.

Decorative greenery became a unique industry during the late nineteenth century. English immigrant George Caldwell recognized a market in northern states for greenery and established his own business in Evergreen. Caldwell earned the nickname “The Woodsman” and shipped smilax vine and other local greenery to the White House for the inauguration of Grover Cleveland.

The town at one time was home to a Baptist orphanage and a 500-seat opera house.

Evergreen Alabama and The Civil War

The former county seat of Sparta was burned in a federal raid during the Civil War. In 1866, the county seat was moved to Evergreen as it was more centrally located in the county. Evergreen was incorporated as a city on March 28, 1873.

Tornados and Fire in Evergreen Alabama

In 1882, a tornado hit the city, destroying every building except for the Episcopal Church. On November 7, 1895, fire destroyed every business and house located on the east side of the railroad. Five days later, fire destroyed every business and house on the west side. The Conecuh County Courthouse itself burned in 1868, 1875, 1885, and 1895.

Evergreen Alabama Events and Places of Interest

Evergreen hosts an annual Fall Festival, Christmas Parade, and Sausage Day Festival. A historic tower and marker beacon for the Atlanta to New Orleans Contract Air Mail route are located about five miles west of Evergreen on Highway 84. In February 2017, the Conecuh city council named Evergreen the “Official Bigfoot Capital of Alabama” and initiated an annual Collard Greens Festival in January.

In 1947, the Conecuh Sausage Company opened in Evergreen and remains a leading employer.

Comments are closed.