Tag: History of Alabama 1873

Clanton Alabama

CLANTON ALABAMA

Clanton Alabama was founded by Alfred Baker in 1868, when Chilton County was formed. Prior to establishment in 1868, the Town of Clanton was known as the community of “Goose Pond”. Baker County was renamed to Chilton County and the community of “Goose Pond” became the Town of Clanton.
Clanton was named in honor of General James H. Clanton, a brigadier in the Confederate States Army, and was incorporated on April 23, 1873. Baker was also elected first mayor of the town.

Continue reading
error: .