Failetown, Alabama

Failetown, Alabama
Failetown is a ghost town in Clarke County, Alabama, United States. Lewis Faile (aka Louis Fails) and his children, Richmond, Terrell and Morgan Faile settled Failetown in the 1850s when they moved west from South Carolina,

Today all that remains is the Fail Cemetery at the Cross Roads of Woodsbluff Road and Pearl Drive. This place is rumored to be the site of the October 4, 1813, Bashi Skirmish of the first Creek War that was fought between the United States and the Creek Indians. Colonel William McGrew leading a group of twenty five militia was ambushed leaving five dead. Colonel McGrew and Captain William Bradbury, both veterans of the Battle of Burnt Corn, were killed along with Edmund Miles, Jesse Griffin and David Griffin. David Griffin’s body was never found.

Clarkesville, Alabama

Clarkesville, Alabama
 
Clarkesville, Alabama: A Ghost Town
Clarkesville (also spelled Clarksville) is a ghost town in Clarke County, Alabama. It was the county seat of Clarke County until 1831. Clarkesville Alabama History
The Alabama legislature appointed a group of county commissioners on 13 December 1819 to select a site for Clarke County’s “seat of justice.” The legislature made the provision that the site had to be within 3 miles (4.8 km) of the center of county. The commissioners founded Clarkesville as a result. It remained the county seat until 1831, when growing dissatisfaction within the county caused the relocation of the seat to Macon, later renamed Grove Hill.

Bluffton, Alabama

Bluffton, Alabama,  was founded as a mining community in 1888 Cherokee County, Alabama. In 1890, Bluffton was home to approximately 8,000 residents. The Bluffton Land, Ore and Furnace Company operated an iron mine in the area, and was also responsible for building the Signal Hotel, which at one point hosted Rudyard Kipling. The Signal Hotel was the first structure in Cherokee County with electric lights. Bluffton had one newspaper, the Bluffton Mascot, and was home to a Methodist Episcopal church and Salem Baptist Church, which is still in use today.

Washington, Alabama

Washington, Alabama : Alabama Ghost Town
Washington, Alabama is a ghost town located in Autauga County, Alabama on the north bank of the Alabama River, just west of the mouth of Autauga Creek. Washington was founded in 1817 on the site of the former Autauga Indian town of Atagi and named in honor of George Washington. On November 22, 1819, the Alabama territorial legislature chose Washington as the county seat of Autauga County, which it remained until 1830. A courthouse, hotel, jail, post office and pillory were constructed to meet the needs of the county government. The county seat was moved to Kingston in 1830 in order to be closer to the geographic center of the county.

Alabama-Ghosts-and-Ghost-Towns

DIGITAL ALABAMA GUIDE TO GHOSTS AND HAUNTED PLACES

Alabama Ghosts And Haunted Places
Ghosts, ghost towns and haunted places are common throughout the state of Alabama. The majority of the ghost sightings and haunted places stories published here are likely nothing more than folklore and home-spun ghost stories. However, we have attempted to gather as much information as possible from across the state and from various sources and publish it here into tales by location. Slowly but surely, we will be able to visit and investigate these tales. As we do, a new and updated article will be created for each investigation.

Ghost Towns of Alabama Map

Alabama Maps Index
We do extensive research prior to investigating a subject in order that we may be as productive as possible in discovering valid and useful information. Research of a subject more often than not requires extensive travel throughout the state so we map subject localities as one of the first steps. Ghost towns in Alabama are a popular subject for more reasons than you may think. For instance, it is often required that we survey an abandoned property or ghost town in order to recreate a past event in order to help determine if the event could have actually occured as described in old newspaper articles or testimony of witnesses. As stated elsewhere, we are not “ghost hunters” or any other type of “fill-in-the-blank hunters” with the exception of “truth.”

Alabama-Ghosts-and-Ghost-Towns

Chulafinnee Alabama

Chulafinnee was originally one of several Indian villages of the Upper Creek Nation.The Indian word, Chulafinnee, means “Pine Log Crossing.”  Chulafinnee is now a ghost town with a gold producing past. It is located in the southwest corner of Cleburne County along Carr & Chulafinnee Creeks. This was a gold mining town about 12 miles south of Heflin, Alabama. Chulafinnee is near a creek of the same name, about four miles from the creek junction with the Tallapoos River and along present US Highway 431.

Louina Alabama Ghost Town in Randolph County Alabama

Louina Alabama

Louina Alabama

Louina Alabama, sometimes called Ole Louina, is a ghost town located 14 miles west of Roanoke Alabama and about one mile east of Wadley Alabama in Randolph County, Alabama. Louina Alabama Native American Tribes
The story that has been passed through generations goes that the town was originally settled by Creek Indians defeated in the Battle of Horse Shoe Bend by Andrew Jackson. Louina  is named for an Indian woman who ran a trading post some years after it was taken over.Louina was settled by the Indians, pushed to Alabama by the white settlers from the overcrowded east during the 1830s. The town was named for an Indian woman, the wife of an Indian Chief named Nicahargo, who operated a successful trading post which quickly became the metropolis of its day and section. Ole Louina was a community during early settlement of Randolph County which was settled after the Battle of Horseshoe Bend in 1814 when the Creek Indians were defeated by General Andrew Jackson. The town of Louina was “one mile North, on the East bank of  Tallapoosa River.  It was settled in 1834.