The lower falls of Caney Creek in the Bankhead National Forest, which covers nearly 200,000 acres in Lawrence, Franklin, and Winston counties. The forest was established in 1918 and renamed in honor of U.S. Representative William B. Bankhead in 1942.
Double Springs is a town in Winston County, Alabama. The city is the county seat of Winston County. The county seat was initially located at Houston, but by referendum in 1883, Double Springs prevailed and the county seat was removed to there. Double Springs is located at 34°9′6″N 87°24′16″W (34.151642, -87.404390). Double Springs Alabama Attractions
Double Springs rests inside the William B. Bankhead National Forest, and is near Lewis Smith Lake.
Home of 911 and The Historic Red Phone
1901 11th Ave
The first 911 call was made from Marion County Alabama in the city of Haleyville Alabama on February 16, 1968. A red rotary dial phone was used to make the call. The phone is housed in a plexiglass box in Haleyville city hall. The phone is on display during city hall business hours only so you might call to confirm.
Winston County is a county of the U.S. state of Alabama. The population is 24,484. Its county seat is Double Springs. Winston County Alabama History
Winston County was established under the name Hancock County on February 12, 1850, from territory formerly in Walker County. It was originally named for John Hancock, Governor of Massachusetts and famous signer of the American Declaration of Independence, with its county seat at Houston, Alabama.