Jackson County Alabama
Jackson County Alabama is a county in the Northeast corner of Alabama. The population is 53,227 and the county seat is Scottsboro. Jackson County was named for Andrew Jackson, general in the United States Army and afterward President of the United States of America.
Cities: Bridgeport, Scottsboro, Stevenson
Towns: Dutton, Hollywood, Hytop Langston, Paint Rock, Pisgah, Pleasant Groves, Section, Skyline, Woodville
Communities: Baileytown, Bass, Bolivar, Bryant, Estillfork, Fackler, Flat Rock, Francisco, Gorhams’s Bluff, Higdon, Hollytree, Larkin, Liberty Hill, Limrock, Long Island, Princeton, Rash, Rosalie, Swaim, Trenton
If you would like to become a sponsor, advertise a related location, service or vacation spot that would add to the usefulness of this site, please email us: email@example.com.
Bellefonte is a ghost town in Jackson County, Alabama near the site of the Bellefonte Nuclear Generating Station. It is located roughly two miles southeast of Hollywood, Alabama.
Bellefonte was settled in the early 19th century and incorporated on December 15, 1821, when it had nearly 200 residents. Its name was a subjective description consisting of the French words "belle", meaning "beautiful," and "fonte", meaning "fount." It was the Jackson County seat from 1821 to 1859. During the following decade, a post office, courthouse, and church were constructed. A post office was established in 1830. By 1844, the population had grown to 400. The town suffered severe damage during the Civil War. The post office was closed in 1859, and the entire town was abandoned by the 1920s. All that remains of Bellefonte today are the cemetery, the chimney of the local inn, and piles of scattered bricks.
Wikipedia contributors, "Bellefonte, Alabama," Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bellefonte,_Alabama&oldid=619606510 (accessed December 25, 2014).
Bridgeport is a city in Jackson County, Alabama with a population of 2,728.
The town was originally settled under the name Jonesville in the early 19th century. The Jonesville post office was established in 1852. In 1854, the name was changed to Bridgeport for a new railroad bridge over the Tennessee River and the previously established river port.
Northeast Alabama Hunting Preserve
Northeast Alabama Hunting Preserve offers the finest bird hunting south of the Mason Dixon line at the lowest rates possible. We will fill you with southern hospitality, fine southern cooking and beautiful scenery.
Our area contains some of the finest fishing, golfing and sport clay opportunities with only a short drive.
(256) 638-7014 : (256) 717-8595
Scottsboro population is 14,770. The city is the county seat of Jackson County.
It is located 30 miles each from the state boundaries of Georgia to the east (Dade County) and Tennessee to the north, about 45 miles from Huntsville, Alabama to the west and about 55 miles from Chattanooga, Tennessee to the northeast.
Section is a town in Jackson County, Alabama. Section sits atop Sand Mountain, overlooking the Tennessee River. The population of the town is 769.
The Stevenson Railroad Depot Museum is located at the heart of downtown Stevenson, situated between the tracks of two major railroads. The depot, which was built in 1872 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places, stands on the ruins of Stevenson's first railroad depot, which was built around 1852. That original depot was destroyed either during, or shortly after, the Civil War.
Fort Harker was built on a broad hill a quarter-mile east of the town of Stevenson.Ft. Harker was an earthen redoubt, 150 feet (46 m) square, with walls that were 14 feet (4.3 m) high, surrounded by an 8-foot-deep (2.4 m) dry moat. It contained 7 cannon platforms, a bomb-proof powder magazine, a draw-bridge entrance and an 8-sided wooden blockhouse at its center.