Compiled in 1921 by Thomas McAdory Owen, LL.D.
Post office and incorporated town, on the Southern Railway and the Seaboard Air Line Railway, in the northeast corner of Calhoun County, 13 miles northeast of Jacksonville and about 25 miles northeast of Anniston.
Altitude: 705 feet.
Population: 1880 – 381; 1890 – 711; 1900 – 1,745; 1910 – 2,226; 1916 – 3,000.
Its banks are the First National and the Farmers & Merchants Bank (State). The Piedmont Journal, a Democratic weekly, established in 1907, is published there. Its industries are large cotton mills, 2 cotton ginneries, and a rim-binding factory. It was first called Cross Plains, from its situation on the edge of a plain and at the crossing of two important stagecoach roads. The name was changed to Piedmont about 1880. The first settlers were Neal Ferguson, Jacob F. Daily, Hampton Graham, Gilbert Craig, John W. Ledbetter, James Price, Dr. R. G. Teague and Dr. John B. Cowden.
References. – Polk’s Alabama gazetteer, 1888-9, p. 291; Lippincott’s gazetteer, 1913, p. 1444; Alabama Official and Statistical Register, 1915.