Location: 4502 Godfrey Avenue (near 45th Street NE), Fort Payne
Access: This is a private residence; it is primarily important because of its history and its extant exterior architectural features. It is not open to general public visitation.
Historical Significance: Built circa 1821 by Andrew Ross and his wife Susannah Lowery Ross, the present Greek Revival structure retains intact portions of the original Ross home. Andrew, brother of Principal Chief John Ross, was a Cherokee businessman and judge on the Cherokee Supreme Court. Susannah (Susan) was the daughter of Assistant Principal Chief George Lowery. An 1834 valuation of the property describes the large 2-story dwelling as constructed of hewn logs with a shingled roof, plank floors, a brick chimney with two fireplaces, and a 2-story banistered piazza extending across the front. Other structures included a 24-foot by 12-foot framed addition, a separate 16-foot by 16-foot log kitchen, a large double stable, two smaller stables, a smoke house, hen house, milk house, corn cribs, spring house, and several smaller cabins. The several hundred acre property also contained numerous fields, orchards, pasture, and woodland. Andrew and Susan Ross and their children removed to Indian Territory prior to the departure of the Benge Detachment.