ALABAMA HISTORIC LANDMARKS

Print More

Export as KML for Google Earth/Google MapsOpen standalone map in fullscreen modeExport as GeoRSSExport as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Alabama Historic Landmarks

loading map - please wait...

Cahaba Alabama: 32.316944, -87.101389
USS Alabama (battleship): 30.680190, -88.015810
Apalachicola Fort Site: 32.171340, -85.130230
Barton Hall: 34.750722, -88.003341
Bethel Baptist Church, Parsonage, and Guard House: 33.551806, -86.802028
Bottle Creek Site: 30.995556, -87.937639
Brown Chapel A.M.E. Church: 32.411869, -87.016053
City Hall: 30.689979, -88.040106
Henry D. Clayton House: 31.865611, -85.452361
J.L.M. Curry Home: 33.455833, -86.044444
Dexter Avenue Baptist Church: 32.377473, -86.303146
USS Drum (submarine): 30.678830, -88.016631
Episcopal Church of the Nativity: 34.730189, -86.584050
First Confederate Capitol: 32.375743, -86.300940
Fort Mitchell Site: 32.351944, -85.021667
Fort Morgan: 30.228056, -88.023056
Fort Toulouse Site: 32.506619, -86.251569
Foster Auditorium: 33.207778, -87.543889
Gaineswood: 32.508726, -87.835239
Government Street Presbyterian Church: 30.689153, -88.044151
Ivy Green: 34.739444, -87.706667
Kenworthy Hall: 32.635139, -87.352222
Montgomery (snagboat): 33.223753, -88.259895
Montgomery Union Station and Trainshed: 32.378704, -86.314524
Moundville Site: 32.100000, -85.100000
Neutral Buoyancy Space Simulator: 34.652005, -86.678076
Edmund Pettus Bridge: 32.405556, -87.018611
Propulsion and Structural Test Facility: 34.623636, -86.658549
Redstone Test Stand: 34.630872, -86.666593
Redstone Test Stand: 34.630872, -86.666593
St. Andrew’s Church: 32.509122, -87.701400
Sixteenth Street Baptist Church: 33.516583, -86.814806
Sloss Blast Furnaces: 33.520655, -86.791306
Swayne Hall, Talladega College: 33.427687, -86.117562
Tuskegee Institute: 32.430278, -85.707778
Wilson Dam: 34.800833, -87.625833
Yuchi Town Site: 32.300000, -84.983333
Confederate Park: 32.829167, -86.623056
marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Apalachicola Fort Site
Spain established this wattle and daub blockhouse on the Chattahoochee River in 1690, attempting to maintain influence among the Lower Creek Indians. It was used for one year, and destroyed by the Spanish when they abandoned it.
marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Barton Hall

This structure, built in 1840, is described by the National Park Service as an “unusually sophisticated” Greek Revival style plantation house. The interior contains a stairway that ascends in a series of double flights and bridge-like landings to an observatory on the rooftop that offers views of the plantation.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Bethel Baptist Church, Parsonage, and Guard House

This church served as the headquarters for the Alabama Christian Movement for Human Rights, an organization active in the Civil Rights Movement, from 1956 to 1961. It focused on legal and nonviolent direct action against segregated accommodations, transportation, schools and employment discrimination.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Bottle Creek Site
Bottle Creek Indian Mounds

Encyclopedia of Alabama / Ian Brown, University of Alabama

Bottle Creek Indian Mounds

This archaeological site contains eighteen moundsfrom the Mississippian cultural period. Located on Mound Island within the Mobile–Tensaw river delta, the site was occupied between AD 1250 and 1550. Scholars believe that it functioned as a social, political, religious, and trade center for the Mobile Delta region and the central Gulf Coast.

Bottle Creek is one of the most important prehistoric Native American sites in Alabama, second only to Moundville. Located on Mound Island, in the heart of the Mobile-Tensaw Delta, it is the largest mound complex on the northern Gulf coastal plain.

Bottle Creek was occupied from about 1250 and probably served as the principal political and religious center for what is now called Pensacola culture for the three centuries prior to European contact. Bottle Creek continued to be Mound L an important site for local Indians, such as the Mobilians, well into the eighteenth century, and French explorer and founder of Mobile Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville, is believed to have visited the site in 1702.

Now owned by the state of Alabama, Bottle Creek was declared a National Historic Landmark on March 10, 1995, joining Moundville Archaeological Park as the only other Native American site so recognized in the state of Alabama. It is administered by the Alabama Historical Commission.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Brown Chapel A.M.E. Church

This church was a starting point for the Selma to Montgomery marches in 1965, and it played a major role in the events that led to the adoption of the Voting Rights Act of 1965. The national reaction to Selma‘s “Bloody Sunday March” is widely credited with making the passage of the Voting Rights Act politically viable in the United States Congress.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Cahaba Alabama

First capital of Alabama located off of Alabama Highway 22, west of Alabama River in Dallas County.
Also spelled Cahawba, the capital existed from 1820 to 1825. The Alabama Historical Commission maintains Cahaba as a state historic site and as an important archaeological site. Now a park, abandoned streets, cemeteries, and ruins remain.

9518 Cahaba Road
Orrville, AL 36767
Phone/Fax 334-872-8058

Visitor Center: 
Open 12pm – 5pm daily
Grounds: 
Open 9am – 5pm daily

www.cahawba.com
Alabama Historical Commission

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
City Hall

The Italianate style Old City Hall and Southern Market in Mobile was completed in 1857. This building exemplifies the 19th-century American trend toward structures that served multiple civic functions.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Confederate Park

Confederate Park

Confederate Park is a park in Greenville, Alabama. The park was established in 1902 in front of the First Methodist Church on 1 acre of land donated by the church to the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Dexter Avenue Baptist Church

Martin Luther King, Jr. was the pastor of this church from 1954 to 1960. The Montgomery Improvement Association, which was headed by Dr. King, had its headquarters in the church and organized the Montgomery Bus Boycott from this site in 1955.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Edmund Pettus Bridge

This bridge across the Alabama River is noted for being the site of a bloody encounter during a civil rights march in 1965, an event influential in the passage of that year’s Voting Rights Act.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Episcopal Church of the Nativity

This Gothic Revival church was built in 1859, and is considered by the National Park Service as one of the most pristine examples of Ecclesiastical Gothic architecture in the South. It is also one of the least-altered structures designed by architect Frank Wills.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
First Confederate Capitol

Delegates from six seceding Southern states met here on February 4, 1861. On February 8, they adopted a “Constitution for the Provisional Government of the Confederate States of America.” Jefferson Davis was inaugurated on the west portico on February 18. The Congress of the Confederate States met here until May 22, 1861, when the capital moved to Richmond, Virginia.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Fort Mitchell Site

Fort Mitchell represents three periods of interaction with Native Americans. The first period is the martial aspect of Manifest Destiny, when the Creek Indian Nation was defeated and forced to concede land.; the second represents the Indian Factory; the last concerns U.S. government attempts to honor treaty obligations.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Fort Morgan

Fort Morgan was completed in 1834 and was used by Confederate forces during the Battle of Mobile Bay. This battle resulted in the Union Navy‘s Admiral David Farragut taking Mobile Bay and sealing off the Port of Mobile to Confederate shipping.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Fort Toulouse Site

Fort Toulouse served as the easternmost outpost of colonial French Louisiana. It was established in 1717 at the confluence of the Coosa and Tallapoosa rivers, and was abandoned in 1763, after the Treaty of Paris. Andrew Jackson reestablished a fort here in 1814 following his defeat of the Creek Nation at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Foster Auditorium

The Alabama National Guard, Federal marshals, and U.S. Attorney General Nicholas Katzenbach escorted Vivian Malone past Alabama governor George C. Wallace during his infamous “Stand In The Schoolhouse Door” in front of this building in 1963. This was the first step in desegregating the University of Alabama and is seen as an important event in the Civil Rights Movement in the United States.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Gaineswood

This Greek Revival mansion was designated a NHL because it is considered one of the most unusual examples of that architectural style in the United States. It was built over the course of eighteen years by amateur architect and planter Nathan Bryan Whitfield. It is one of the few Greek Revival homes that features the Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian orders of architecture.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Government Street Presbyterian Church

This church was built in 1836 and is one of the oldest and least-altered Greek Revival church buildings in the United States. The architectural design is by James Gallier, James Dakin, and Charles Dakin.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Henry D. Clayton House

This was the home of anti-trust legislator Henry De Lamar Clayton, Jr. He was the author of the Clayton Antitrust Act, an act that prohibited particular types of conduct that were deemed to not be in the best interest of a competitive market. He was appointed as a Federal District Judge in 1914, and became recognized as an advocate for judicial reform.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Ivy Green

This site is where deaf and blind Helen Keller was born and learned to communicate, with the aid of her teacher and constant companion, Anne Sullivan.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
J.L.M. Curry Home

This was the home of educator Jabez Lamar Monroe Curry. He played a large role in the expansion and improvement of the public school system and the establishment of training schools for teachers throughout the South.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Kenworthy Hall

This plantation house was completed in 1860 and is one of the best preserved examples of Richard Upjohn‘s distinctive asymmetrical Italian villa style. It is the only surviving residential example of Upjohn’s Italian villa style that was especially designed to suit the Southern climate and the plantation lifestyle.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Montgomery (snagboat)

One of the few surviving steam-powered sternwheelers in the United States, it is one of two surviving United States Army Corps of Engineers snagboats. It was built in 1925 and played a major role in building the Alabama–Tombigbee–Tennessee River Project.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Montgomery Union Station and Trainshed

Constructed in 1898, this is an example of late 19th-century commercial architecture. It served as the focal point of transportation into Montgomery. The train shed is significant in that it shows the adaptation of bridge-building techniques to shelter structures, an important step in the history of American engineering.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Moundville Site

Moundville was first settled in the 10th century and represents a major period of Mississippian culture in the Southern United States. It acted as the center for a southerly diffusion of this culture toward the Gulf Coast. It was the second largest site of the classic Middle Mississippian era, after Cahokia in Illinois.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Neutral Buoyancy Space Simulator

This structure was built in 1955 to provide a simulated zero-gravity environment in which engineers, designers, and astronauts could perform the various phases of research needed to gain firsthand knowledge concerning design and operation problems associated with working in space. It contributed significantly to the United States space program, especially Project Gemini, the Apollo program, Skylab, and the Space Shuttle.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Propulsion and Structural Test Facility

This site was built in 1957 by the Army Ballistic Missile Agency and was the primary center responsible for the development of large vehicles and rocket propulsion systems. The Saturn Family of launch vehicles was developed here under the direction of Wernher von Braun. The Saturn V remains the most powerful launch vehicle ever brought to operational status, from a height, weight and payload standpoint.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Redstone Test Stand

This steel frame structure was built in 1953 and is the oldest static firing facility at the Marshall Space Flight Center. It was important in the development of the Jupiter-C and Mercury/Redstone vehicles that launched the first U.S. satellite and the first U.S. manned spaceflight.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Redstone Test Stand

This steel frame structure was built in 1953 and is the oldest static firing facility at the Marshall Space Flight Center. It was important in the development of the Jupiter-C and Mercury/Redstone vehicles that launched the first U.S. satellite and the first U.S. manned spaceflight.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps Export as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Sixteenth Street Baptist Church

This church was used as a meeting place, training center, and as a departure point for marches during the Civil Rights Movement. It was the site of a bombing by the Ku Klux Klan on September 16, 1963, in which four young girls were killed and twenty-two others were injured.

38 markers
per page
page 12

Comments are closed.