Sam R Murphy Wildlife Management Area
Sam R. Murphy Wildlife Management Area
(Lamar & Marion Counties)
Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Hunting Regulations – August 1, 2008 – July 31, 2009
Sam R Murphy Wildlife Management Area PERMITS:
Permits for the Nov. 15 youth deer hunt, the Dec. 12-13 and Jan 15-17 gun deer hunts will be issued daily from the checking station located 1⁄2 mile east of Pikeville on Marion Co. 2. Pikeville is 4 miles north of Guin, AL on US Hwys. 43, 78, and 278. Season map/permits will be valid for gun deer hunts on Nov. 24-29 and Dec. 27 – Jan. 3 small game, archery deer, and turkey permits can be obtained by writing Area Biologist Kevin Pugh, 827 Cooner Road, Jasper, AL 35503. Include a current hunting license number and a self–addressed, stamped envelope. Season permits will also be available at Country Corner, Guin; Black’s Hardware, Guin; Texaco Truck Stop, Hwy 78, Hamilton; Marion County Lake; Wal-Mart, Winfield and Hamilton; Marion and Lamar County Courthouses; and Ford Dealership, Sulligent during regular business hours. Trapping permits must be obtained from the area biologist.
NOTE: On the 6 day and 8 day gun deer hunts (Nov. 24-29 and Dec 27 – Jan. 3), this map permit shall be your permit to hunt on the WMA and is valid for those days and must be in your possession. You do not check in or out at check station. The check station will not be open continuously on these days deer hunt. Permits are available at locations shown above. All deer harvested must be recorded on the reporting form at the check station prior to leaving the WMA.
NOTE: A State Hunting License*, management area permit, and Wildlife Management Area (WMA) License* are required when hunting deer, turkey or waterfowl on any wildlife management area.
*A Wildlife Heritage License is valid in lieu of a State Hunting License and a WMA License on a WMA for all small game hunting, except waterfowl.
*Individuals, ages 16 through 64, that utilize the shooting range on Sam R. Murphy WMA are required to possess a valid Wildlife Heritage License, State Hunting License, or Wildlife Management Area License.
Sam R Murphy Wildlife Management Area Hunting Dates:
DEER: (Youth) (Primitive Weapons) (Gun – Hunters Choice)
TURKEY: (Youth) (Physically Disabled)
RACCOON, OPOSSUM & FOX:
COYOTE, BOBCAT & FOX:
Stalk Hunting Hunters’ Choice (except spotted fawns-two deer per day) Nov. 15.
Stalk Hunting Hunters’ Choice (except spotted fawns-two deer per day – no more than one antlered buck per day) Nov. 20-21.
Stalk Hunting : Nov. 24-29, Dec. 12-13, Dec. 27 – Jan. 3, Jan 15-17 (except spotted fawns – two deer per day – no more than one antlered buck per day).
Stalk Hunting Hunter’s Choice (except spotted fawns – two deer per day, no more than one antlered buck per day). Oct. 15-Jan.
31, (Except on day of youth deer hunt). (Hunter must obtain a hunt permit on days of gun deer hunts). be recorded on the reporting form at the check station prior to leaving the WMA.
March 14 (daylight until 1:00 PM)
March 15 (daylight until 1:00 PM)
All deer harvested must
March 16 – April 30 (daylight until 1:00 PM)
All turkeys harvested must be recorded on the form at the check station prior to leaving the WMA.
Oct. 1 – Feb. 28 (except on days of youth, primitive weapons and gun deer hunts).
Oct. 1 – Feb. 28 (except on days of youth, primitive weapons and gun deer hunts).
Nov. 16 – Feb. 28 (except on days of primitive weapons and gun deer hunts).
Sept. 1 – Feb. 28 (Nighttime hours only – No hunting on nights preceding and nights of youth, primitive weapons and gun deer hunts. Fox – DOGS ONLY, NO GUNS).
Dec. 18 – Jan. 31 (except on days of gun deer hunts).
State Season – noon until sunset (except on days of youth, primitive weapons and gun deer hunts).
Opening day of the State Dove Season – Feb. 28 (except on days of youth, primitive weapons and gun deer hunts).
State Season (except on days of gun deer hunts).
Open during deer and turkey seasons in that county using weapons and ammunition for open legal seasons (No dogs allowed) (Daylight Hours Only) (Only 1 Fox per day).
Sam R Murphy Wildlife Management Area Bag Limits:
Deer – (ALL BUCKS HARVESTED ON WMA’S MUST BE INCLUDED AS PART OF THE ANNUAL STATE WIDE 3 BUCK LIMIT). Gun Hunter’s Choice, either sex deer (except spotted fawns) – 2 per day (no more than one antlered buck per day); Primitive Weapons, either sex deer (except spotted fawns) – 2 per day (no more than one antlered buck per day); Archery Hunter’s Choice Deer Hunts, either sex deer (except spotted fawns) – 2 per day (no more than one antlered buck per day); Turkey (Gobblers Only) – 1 a day; 5 per season; Squirrel – 8 a day; Quail – 12 a day; Rabbit – 8 a day; Raccoon – 5 per party per day; Opossum – No Limit; Dove – 15 a day; Ducks – state limit; Fox – 1 a day. Falconers may take migratory game birds (not more than 3 per day in aggregate combination) and resident game birds and animals following the bag limits listed above for firearms and archery
Sam R Murphy Wildlife Management Area Permitted Firearms, Bow and Arrow & Falconry:
Deer: Stalk Hunts:
Turkey &: Woodcock Squirrel & Rabbit:
Quail & Dove: Raccoon & Opossum: Fox:
Centerfire rifles that have been plugged or otherwise incapable of holding more than 11 cartridges and using mushrooming and/or expanding type ammunition or shotguns using slugs only or muzzle loading rifles .40 caliber or larger, or centerfire handguns with a minimum 4 inch barrel length using mushrooming and/or expanding type ammunition. All applicable laws regarding possessing and carrying handguns must be followed.
Shotguns using No. 2 shot or smaller.
Shotguns using No. 4 shot or smaller, standard .22 caliber or smaller rimfire firearms, and muzzle loading rifles .40 caliber or smaller, or rifles operated by air.
Shotguns using No. 4 shot or smaller.
Shotguns using No. 6 shot or smaller; .22 caliber rimfire firearms.
Nighttime Hours – Dogs Only – No weapons allowed.
Standard .22 caliber or smaller rimfire firearms (no magnums) only during daylight hours only. All trappers must conform with all state laws and regulations pertaining to trapping.
State and federal regulations apply.
On all scheduled hunts except fox hunting, bow & arrow (including crossbow) will be legal (no crossbows allowed for turkey hunting. Broadhead points will be legal only during scheduled deer and turkey hunts. Bows & arrows must conform with State Regulations on specification. WHEN BOW AND ARROW HUNTING, IT SHALL BE UNLAWFUL FOR ANY PERSON TO CARRY OR POSSESS ANY FIREARMS, except on days of either-sex gun deer hunts. Falconry will be legal on all AREA scheduled hunts for legally permitted falconers; following the dates those seasons are open on each AREA.
It Shall Be Unlawful:
1. To hunt, trap, use dogs, possess firearms, ammunition, traps or bow and arrow without a valid permit. A permit is valid only during scheduled management area seasons during
legal hunting hours and only weapons and ammunition permitted for hunting the wildlife listed on permit.
2. To use dogs for stalk hunting of deer or for turkey hunting.
3. To use dogs for hunting, training or any purpose from March 1 to the opening of the following fall gun season.
4. For any person under 16 years of age to hunt on the management area unless accompanied by a licensed hunter at all times.
5. For any person to carry firearms (including pistols) in or on a vehicle with ammunition in the magazine, breech or clip attached to firearms, or black powder weapons with primer,
cap or flash powder in place, or cocked crossbows.
6. To camp in the management area except in designated sites. Campers using generators must camp in site designated for generator use. Individuals or groups may camp on the
management area for a period not to exceed nine (9) days in any 30 day period. Campfires must be extinguished before departing. No warming fires shall be permitted away from
7. To kill or willfully molest any species of wildlife except those designated for hunting. However, this regulation shall not apply to coyote or feral hog which may be killed during all
scheduled management area hunts, when possessing a valid WMA permit and using weapons and ammunition that are legal for such designated WMA hunts. Additionally, bobcat and fox may be killed during any scheduled WMA hunt that occurs within the time period of the deer and turkey seasons in that county, when possessing a valid WMA permit and using weapons and ammunition that are legal for the open designated WMA hunt (DAYLIGHT HOURS ONLY) (NO DOGS ALLOWED). Only one fox may be harvested per day.
8. To discharge fireworks at any time.
9. To discharge firearms for target practice except on the designated target range.
10. To hunt or discharge firearms within 150 yards of any camping area, dwelling, dam or timber operation, or within 100 yards of any paved public road, highway, or within a posted
safety zone, or within one-half mile of a church on Sunday.
11. To use fire to smoke out game.
12. For any person except authorized personnel to operate any motor driven vehicle behind, under or around any locked gate, barricaded road or sign which prohibits vehicular traffic.
13. For any unauthorized person at any time to operate a motor scooter, motorcycle, trail bike, or any motor driven vehicle on the management area (WMA) except on regularly used
roads open for public use by four wheel vehicle traffic; or to ride or possess horses except on roads or trails open to four-wheel motorized vehicles or on roads, trails, or in areas
designated as open to horses. Riding or possession of horses is prohibited on any AREA on days of scheduled gun deer hunts.
14. For any person to hunt deer on days of scheduled gun, or primitive weapons hunts without wearing a vest containing a minimum 144 square inches of hunter orange color, or either
a full size hunter orange hat or cap. The hunter orange must be of solid color, except for a small logo on the front of the cap, and visible form any angle.
15. For any person except authorized personnel to block or otherwise stop traffic on any road or at any gate by parking a vehicle in such a way that passage around the vehicle is
16. To deposit, distribute or scatter grain, salt, litter, or any other material on management area prior to receiving approval from the Department of Conservation Natural Resources.
17. For any person to damage or remove any trees, crops or other plants, dirt, gravel or sod from management area without legal authorization.
18. To erect or use a permanent tree stand or scaffold on management area without written permission from the landowners.
19. To hunt from an elevated stand or platform without attaching themselves to the tree or platform with a safety harness, rope, or strap capable of supporting their weight.
Note: Administrators of the hunt shall have the right to distribute the hunters and to inspect all vehicles or other equipment while on the areas. The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and landowners who are making the hunting possible, hereby put each hunter on notice that he hunts at his own risk and the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and such landowners shall not be responsible for any accidents or injuries that may occur.
This management area was established by the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and the following landowners: Sam Murphy Estate; W.W. Ogden; Tharon; O.E. Young; Frank Carroll and V. Dobbs; C.C. Cunningham; C.E. Burleson; Mrs. Dewey Mixon; Hooper Matthews; Bill Northington; Alton Terrel; J.A. Dennis; L.W. Gann; and a number of smaller landowners.
Sam R Murphy Wildlife Management Area Youth Hunt:
Youth must be less than 16 years old. Supervisors must be 25 years old or older or the parent of the youth and must be properly licensed. Adult must remain in arms length of youth at all times. Permits for the Youth Hunt will be issued from the checking station/area headquarters on the day of the hunt.
Sam R Murphy Wildlife Management Area Map