Blakeley Alabama

Overlooking the marshes of the Mobile-Tensaw Delta just north of Mobile is the site
of the Alabama ghost town of Blakeley.

Now a part of Historic Blakeley State Park, the city once competed with Mobile for the status of queen city of Lower Alabama. All that remains today are gravestones, a few ruins and traces of old streets.

Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo

Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo

We believe in educating others while sharing our passion for animals by providing engaging opportunities with our guests both here at the zoo and offsite.

Baldwin County Alabama Map

Baldwin County Alabama Map

Located in south Alabama along the Gulf of Mexico and Bon Secour Bay, Baldwin County, is recognized as one of the premier tourism spots in Alabama. Noted Civil War sites in the county include Fort Morgan and Fort Blakeley. Because of Baldwin County’s proximity to the Gulf Coast, it was the site of some of the earliest European explorations and settlements in the South.

Bon Secour Salt Factory Drawing by Hazel and Richard Brough from the book “Food, Fun, and Fable.”

Alabama Civil War Site: Bon Secour Salt Works

Alabama Civil War Timeline
September 8, 1864
Union Troops Destory Bon Secour Salt Works

BALDWIN COUNTY MAIN PAGE
Baldwin County Alabama contributed to the Confederate Civil War activities through production of salt from the Bon Secour Salt Works which went into production in early 1863. The salt production facility was was comprised of long open sheds with a brick firebox running down the center of the shed. Iron containers positioned along the fire box and were heated by a fire and as the hot air traveled through a fire box, it boiled the brine solution in the pots leaving the salt to be collected. The brine was taken from pits dug into the area’s salt marshlands. 
In September, 1864, Union troops proceeded to Bon Secour to destroy the salt works. Captain C.W. Stone of the 6th Michigan Volunteers recorded that forces under his command destroyed 990 of the iron vats and hauled away 30,000 feet of lumber. In his official report, Captain Stone mentioned that his forces burned all that was left behind at Bon Secour including

“a number of buildings having been constructed by the Confederate forces as quarters for soldiers, the place being known as Camp Anderson.”

 

On September 8, 1864, a combined army-navy raiding party led by Acting Volunteer Lieutenant George Wiggin, USN, left the Fort Morgan anchorage at 7:00 a.m. Wiggin commanded three naval gunboats, the USS Tritonia, the USS Rodolph, and the USS Stockdale and one army transport, the steamer Planter, which had two barges in tow.

Battery Duportail located inside Fort Morgan Alabama

Battery Duportail

Battery Duportail

BALDWIN COUNTY MAIN PAGE

BATTLEFIELDS AND FORTS MAIN PAGE
ALABAMA CIVIL WAR MAIN PAGE

Battery Duportail (1901-1931) – Battery Duportail (1901-1931) – Battery Duportail was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 12 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Morgan , Baldwin County, Alabama. The battery was named in G.O. 78, 15 May 1903 after Maj. Gen. Louis L. Duportail, Chief of Engineers (1777-1783), Continental Army, who served with distinction during the Revolutionary War and who died at sea in 1802 while en route to France. Battery construction started in 1898, was completed in 1900 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 3 Jun 1900 at a cost of $ 172,646.05. Declared surplus in 1931.

Old Federal Road in Baldwin County, Alabama, near the Mobile River

Old Federal Road in Baldwin County Alabama
This image is a worksheet map by Hale drawn from an aerial photo which shows the old federal highway system in Baldwin County, Alabama, near the Mobile River. The map shows the old stage road and Highway 59 that intersect with the Old Federal Road. The map has a detailed description of various physical features like Nanahuba Island, rivers, creeks, lakes, ponds, and swamps. The map shows the location of a saw mill. The map also shows the locations of Fort Montgomery and Fort Mimms. The map includes a number of numerical designations of unknown meaning.

Gulf Shores Museum | 244 W. 19th Ave | Gulf Shores AL 36542

Gulf Shores Museum

The Gulf Shores Museum houses artifacts from the city’s history and it also tells the story of the entire region’s past as well. But the story of the Gulf Shores Museum does not stop with the contents of the building. Thanks to the Oyster Bay Baptist Church, there is plenty to see outside in the backyard of the Gulf Shores Museum as well.
Explore new and permanent exhibits as well as seasonal programs and events. Admission is free to the public.