Built during War of 1812.
At of the time of the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, the United States claimed Mobile and the bay as part of Louisiana Purchase.
In 1813, on order of President Madison, the area around Fort Bowyer was seized from Spain by U.S. Regulars under Gen. James Wilkinson and militia under Col. John Bowyer. This act extended Mississippi Territory to the Mobile Bay area. Fort Bowyer, a wooden fort, was built here. 1814 British with Indian allies attacked Fort by land and sea. After three days of fierce assault, the British ship Hermes was sunk; the enemy withdrew to friendly Spanish port of Pensacola
LAST BATTLE WAR OF 1812 FOUGHT AT FORT BOWYER (ALABAMA)
1815 After Battle of New Orleans, British under Gen. Pakenham attacked here with 500 men from land and 38 war ships. Maj. Lawrence, U.S.A. surrendered with 360 men on the third day. Since peace treaty had already been signed, British retained Fort Bowyer only a few weeks. Americans again occupied the Fort. In 1819 work began on construction of brick fort and in 1822 the fort greatly strengthened as urged by President James Monroe. Fort Bowyer would ater be renamed Fort Morgan.