A currated list of forts in alabama including civil war forts, war of 1812 forts, current and past military forts.
Fort Williams was important in both the War of 1812 and again during the Creek War, it having served in the years between as an Indian Agency.
The camp was established after the war on September 3, 1898 and existed through January, 1899. The 2nd Infantry was there until mid-March, 1899. There were five regiments of state volunteers there throughout much of the winter.
Built during War of 1812. At of the time of the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, the United States claimed Mobile and the bay as part of Louisiana Purchase.
Fort Bibb Named for Alabama Territorial Governor William Wyatt Bibb, Fort Bibb was built in winter 1817-1818 to protect settlers from Creek Indian attacks. It was said to be a stockade enclosing Capt. James Saffold’s home at the Flats (Pine Flats). Col. Sam Dale helped strengthen in spring 1818 as he and his militia built […]
Fort Armstrong was a stockade fort built in present-day Cherokee County, Alabama during the Creek War.
Fort Browder, a small wooden fortification built in 1836 for protection in the last war with the Creek Indians. A Confederate infantry company organized there subsequently enrolled as Company D, 15th Alabama Infantry.
During the Spanish American War the post was reestablished as Camp Wheeler and later renamed Camp Albert G. Forse. The camp was an organizing and training post for the 4th Army Corps whose second commander was Major General Joseph Wheeler, the former Confederate General, who volunteered for service during the Spanish American War. The camp was originally named for General Wheeler who changed the name himself to Camp Albert G. Forse after a Major killed at San Juan Hill.
Spanish American War Fort, Huntsville, Alabama
Named after Major Albert G. Forse, 1st U.S. Cavalry, who was KIA at San Juan Hill, July 1, 1898. He is buried at Arlington National Cemetery.
Fort Bainbridge Fort Bainbridge, believed to be named in honor of naval captain William Bainbridge, was a military supply fort located along the Federal Road on what is today the county line between Macon and Russell counties in Alabama. It was either constructed in late 1813 or early 1814 by Georgia troops under the command […]
Fort Powell was located on a shell island at Grant’s Pass in Mobile Bay.