This “Devil’s Back-bone” ridge crosses the Tallapoosa river in Sec. 32, T 21, R.22, and preserving its general characteristics in a north-easterly course, crosses the Columbus and Western Railroad at Jackson’s Gap Station; and again crosses the Tallapoosa river near the northern borders of the Horse Shoen ;bend in which is locate the old battle ground where Gen. Jackson roiuthed the Indians.
Hog Mountain Goldmine
The largest occurrence of gold in Alabama was found in the Hog Mountain District of Tallapoosa County in 1839. It has produced about 25,000 ounces of gold, or about half of Alabama’s total gold production. Other major districts include the Eagle Creek and Goldville districts of Tallapoosa County and the Arbacoochee district of Cleburne County. Tallapoosa County composed four principal gold districts:
Eagle Creek and
Miners worked out for placer gold deposits in the shoal sands and stream gravels in watercourses, like in the streams of Owl Hollow Valley, Long Branch Creek, Channahatchee Creek, Kowaliga Creek, Copper Creek and the headwaters of the Peru Creek. Several of these streams are now part and lie under the waters of Lake Martin, a reservoir formed through the construction of the Martin Dam on the Tallapoosa River.
Goldville is a town in Tallapoosa County, Alabama, United States. The population was 55 at the 2010 census, up from 37 in 2000.The name of the area derives from the discovery of large gold deposits in the area. The area was so popular with prospecters that at one time the temporary post office of Goldville handled more mail in a day than New York City. The historical monument in the town reads: “Goldville, Alabama incorporated on January 25, 1843 was at one time one of the largest cities in Alabama with a population of near 5,000. With the coming of the California gold rush in 1849 the city became a dormant municipality later to be reinstated on July 9, 1973.”