The establishment and growth of Fort McClellan and the Anniston Army Depot during the First and the Second World Wars boosted Anniston’s social life and economic status, luring in thousands of new residents.
Columbiana Alabama is a city in Shelby County, twenty-five miles east of Birmingham. Columbiana is the county seat of Shelby County.
According to Civil War journals, on May 4, 1862, Union General John Adams and his cavalry troops were at Lamb’s Ferry when they received orders to move down the Tennessee River to Bainbridge Ferry. From May 10 through the 14, 1862, skirmishes between the Union and Confederate troops occurred around Lamb’s Ferry; the area remained occupied by Union soldiers until May 14, 1862.
A trooper of the 1st Ohio Cav. attests that the rebel yell “would have raised the hair on a Comanche Indian.”
4th (Roddey’s) Cavalry Regiment was organized at Tuscumbia, Alabama, in October, 1862. The men were from Franklin, Lauderdale, Lawrence, and Walker counties. On April 2, 1865, most of the unit was captured. The remaining part surrendered.
During the Civil War, a Confederate fort named Fort Gullett was built on the site of Fort Carney. Fort Gullett was built in 1862 to protect the nearby salt wells. Fort Gullett also served to prevent Federal gunboats from traveling up the Tombigbee River.
Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama
The Montgomery Biscuits Stadium now stands where the once prison stood and ghost sightings have been common, leading some to believe that the spirits of the soldiers who died at the prison, now haunt the baseball field.
Won’t no damn Yankees ever find that gold money!
The Blue Mountain area was settled by the Hudgins family in the late thirties and for years was the terminus of the Selma, Rome and Dalton Railroad, being the shipping station for the Oxford furnace. During the War, the Confederate Government operated both the railroad and the furnace, the iron being shipped to Selma to make “Ironclads” for the Confederacy. The town was burned in 1864.
Cornwall Furnace is located near Cedar Bluff, Alabama in Cherokee County. It was built by the Noble Brothers to supply iron products to the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War.
The townpeople estimated the damage to be fifty-five thousand dollars. The resulting pillage and plunder came to be known as the Rape of Athens.
Bridgeport Alabama was the site of a major skirmish on April 29 and August 26, 1862, and numerous other small actions took place in the area. In the latter part of the war, Bridgeport was the site of a major shipyard building gunboats and transports for the Union Army.
The White Sulphur Well lies just outside the corporate limits of the town,
situated on the Southern Railway. This water is known far and wide for its
On May 2, 1862, Athens was seized by Union forces under the command of Colonel John Basil Turchin.
Between December 1862 and October 1863, several skirmishes took place in Barton as part of the American Civil War. Confederate forces sought to prevent the Union Army from invading the Tennessee Valley from their stronghold in Corinth, Mississippi.
Fort Harker was built to defend a strategic position captured by Union troops in northeastern Alabama. Situated atop a hill east of the town of Stevenson, it was constructed in the summer of 1862 by soldiers and freed slaves of the Army of the Cumberland.
Barton, also known as Barton Station, Barton Depot, or Barton’s, is an unincorporated community located in western Colbert County, Alabama, United States. It is about ten miles west of the county seat of Tuscumbia, and just south of Tennessee River. The community is about four miles southeast of Cherokee on US Route 72.
The Skirmish at Paint Rock Bridge was an action fought between a Union Army detachment of 27 men guarding a bridge near Woodville, Alabama and a Confederate States Army cavalry detachment intent on destroying the railroad bridge on April 28, 1862 during the American Civil War.
Skirmishes at or near Bridgeport, Alabama between Union Army and Confederate States Army forces occurred on April 23, 27 and 29 (West Bridge), 1862 during the American Civil War.
5th Cavalry Regiment, organized at Tuscumbia, Alabama, in December, 1862, recruited its men in Morgan, Lawrence, Fayette, Franklin, Lauderdale, Tuscaloosa, and Marion counties.The small force that remained surrendered at Danville, Alabama, on May 6, 1865.
13th Battalion Partisan Rangers, organized during the early fall of 1862, contained four companies.